Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Restore after corrupt memory

Hi everyone, hope I've posted in the right place.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro early 2011: Running MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

I have a Time Machine backup but my hard disk may have silently failed (i.e. my backups might be corrupt as well but they seem to be in working order) so I might be buying a new macbook pro. My question is, if I use my external hard drive with my Time Machine backup to restore onto the new device, will I transfer any issues/problems?

If so, what are my options?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 11:40 AM

You can use your Time Machine disk with Migration Assistant:

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

This may transfer problems but if it does, you can always wipe the disk and start over. I think it's worth the shot.

22 replies

Mar 6, 2018 9:44 AM in response to Nosh21

I think I would try an erase/reformat and then reinstall the OS in an attempt to fix the hard drive and the lack of a Recovery Partition. Go to the App Store and download a new copy of Sierra. Quit the installer. You can make a bootable USB stick to install using this free program which will do all the work for you. Once you have the USB and are sure you can boot from it, do a couple of backups, then boot from the USB stick. Run Disk Utility/First Aid. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility, then re-install the OS. Test.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X oruse Apple’s method Create a bootable installer for OS

Sierra download

Mar 3, 2018 5:39 AM in response to Eric Root

My recollection is that Setup Assistant goes through a few screens of basic information, then goes to a screen asking you if you want to transfer your information. The Support Topics don't specify what process it's using (and to add to the confusion say you can use "Migration Assistant" later). But I believe they are one in the same. I don't know what other process it would be using. I'm going to look around to see if I can get more clarification on this.

Mar 3, 2018 6:00 AM in response to macjack

This is true, so in the case that I move my old macbook over to my new one as a complete restore/transfer, and then notice errors, I can wipe it clean and start over since I still have the back up - but will I be able to use my external hard drive time machine backup to access individual folders and files and move them over one by one (as needed)?

Mar 4, 2018 12:49 AM in response to Eric Root

Why would your backup be lost? I posted links that cover how to inherit the backup to use with your new computer.

I worded that poorly, (thanks for those links by the way), what I meant was, if my Time Machine backup is indeed corrupt and any system restore/migration is also transferring those issues over to the new mac, I'd do a new wipe and install on the new mac but then (from what I understand) I wouldn't be able to use my Time Machine backup on my external harddrive as a separate hard drive and connect it to my new mac to just copy over the specific document files and photos etc (as if it were a flash drive). In such a case, I would have to open up Migration Assistant and move over all of my user profile, or applications, or 'other files and folders' etc - which again, would transfer over problems (where as if I transfer over only specific files and one of them is corrupt, I can pickup on that as soon as I open that file and delete or fix it there and then - it won't be a system level fault) - hence my comment about my backup being lost, in that I can't use it in a flash drive manner and a system wide migration is also causing issues. At least that's what I think is the situation, right?

Mar 4, 2018 12:54 AM in response to macjack

macjack wrote:

That's correct, you can only selectively transfer the groups it allows:

Clicking on the disclosure triangles gives you further choice, but that's it.

Ah thanks, I've read that it's advised against being too selective because you'd have documents without the correct applications and dependencies to run so a lot of maintenance would be required in the future - is that right? Wish it was more specific, so you could choose which files and applications etc.

Mar 4, 2018 7:52 AM in response to Nosh21

I wouldn't be able to use my Time Machine backup on my external harddrive as a separate hard drive and connect it to my new mac to just copy over the specific document files and photos etc (as if it were a flash drive).

You should be able to copy over using the Time Machine application. My 2 backups I'm using on my current computer are the backups from my previous computer and I have no problems accessing the older backups.

If you use the inherit links, the old backup becomes the backup for the new computer.

Mar 4, 2018 9:24 AM in response to Eric Root

Oh do you mean to inherit the time machine backup external hard drive and then install a clean install on the new mac and use the time machine application to look back into the time machine backup and pick out individual files? Because if so, I didn't realise that's what you meant and that would make life much easier!

Mar 6, 2018 5:00 AM in response to Eric Root

Yep, planning on getting an SSD if it will fix the problem and save me buying a new macbook pro for a year more - problem is disk utility and apple hardware test can't find faults with the hard drive (or any faults) but at the same time, when I startup holding command + R, instead of entering the recovery partition, it goes straight to internet recovery as if the HDD is wiped clean - but if I let it startup normally, it takes 15-40 minutes to start but it does eventually start - so the HDD data is still present.

Time Machine Restore after corrupt memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.