Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Return only unique occurrences of data from two tables

Hi there,

Example:

TABLE 1

ID

Name

Size

CK101

Coke

12oz

SP101

Sprite

8oz

PS101

Pespi

12oz

MD101

Mountain Dew

16oz

TABLE 2

ID

Name

Size

CK101

Coca Cola

8oz

IT101

Iced Tea

12oz

PS101

Pepsi Cola

16oz

DP101

Dr. Pepper

16oz

I have two tables in which some of the values in the ID column are the same, but not all. I want to create a 3rd table in which it returns the values of only the IDs in table 1 that do not have a match in table 2. I feel like I've gotten pretty close trying a mix of IF, IFERROR, and VLOOKUP, mixed with a filter to hide blanks, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Example of TABLE 3

ID

SP101

MD101

NOTE: I don't need table 3 to return the differences from columns B or C, just the ID from column A.

This is not a necessity, but it would be preferable to only display each ID one time, as I will have some that have multiple occurrences.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Jesse

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:27 AM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2018 7:15 AM in response to moun10addict

With SGIII's formula in column D of Table 1, you can use the following formula to populate the non-matching IDs in Table 3:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Table 1::A,SMALL(Table 1::$D,ROW()−1),1),"")

If you don't like the blue triangles that will result from this, in SGIII's formula change "no match" to a large number like 999999 (deleting the quotes too).

Mar 2, 2018 7:29 AM in response to SGIII

Fantastic! That worked great. I modified it a bit to better fit what I'm doing. Instead of creating an extra column in table 1 I went straight into table 3 and did:

=IFERROR(IF(MATCH(Table 1::$A2,'Table 1-1'::A,0),"match found",Table 1::$A2),Table 1::$A2)

Which gives me:

ID

match found

SP101

match found

MD101

Then I filtered out "match found" and was left with only the non-matching IDs. Now I can do VLOOKUP and fill out the rest of the table with the info I need from the other columns.

Thanks very much for your help! I'm fairly new with some of these spreadsheet formulas and wasn't familiar with MATCH yet, which is exactly what I needed.

Have a great day.

Return only unique occurrences of data from two tables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.