Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to normalize after the effects chain?

So I'm fairly good at using Logic for Voice Over work, but I've been struggling with one thing I can't seem to figure out. Whether I use non-destructive normalize or the destructive version in the file editor or normalize on bounce, it normalizes to the level I set before my effects chain. I've fed logic a calibrated tone from my Mix Pre 6 to confirm this and tested it each way. I can feed it a -20dBFS tone and normalize it to -3dBFS and it does it perfectly. If I apply the compressor though (others too) it takes it down appropriately for what I have set in the compressor. That all makes perfect sense. What I need to do though, is after all my effects are applied, I want to normalize the output to -3dBFS and I can't seem to find a way to do that with any of the normalize functions. There are of course other ways, e.g. adjust the gain, use make up gain in the compressor, and so on, but none of those hit a precise normalize to a set level, it's all sort of trial and error. I have RX6 so I can bounce it and then normalize there, but this seems like something logic should already do.

I'm hoping someone can point out where I'm just missing something simple, but I've been trying to figure this out for a while with no success.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 6:30 AM

Destructive normalize is dealing with the audio file while the region parameter is dealing with the region, so this is perfectly normal.

I would apply the effects using Selection Based Processing or Bounce in Place first, then normalize.

3 replies

Mar 2, 2018 9:25 AM in response to Cuauhtemoc

Thanks Cuauhtemoc, bounce in place and then normalize is basically what I was doing with Izotope, should've thought of that as a second step in logic, works fine even though a bit odd that you need that extra step and extra file. I never really played with selection based processing before, that worked too. Certainly a different work flow so I'll have to think about that one but it might be an even better way.

Thanks for the quick reply.

How to normalize after the effects chain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.