Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 not detecting Thunderbolt display

I have a 24" external Apple monitor that worked (and still works) perfectly fine with my 2013 MBP. I have connected it to my new MBP using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. Nothing - at least not on the big screen. The computer recognises the external drives that are attached via USB to the external display - but cannot detect the display. I've Googled this extensively, reset PRAM and SMC. I've installed the DisplayLink Installer suggested on one forum, and I've unplugged everything and replugged it all several minutes later. Reboot after reboot. Can somebody please tell me something that works? Much appreciated.

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 8:16 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 9, 2018 10:35 PM in response to AlaskaTom7

AlaskaTom7 wrote:

You realize that you are saying that Apple's THUNDERBOLT display is not Thunderbolt, but Mini DisplayPort, right?

I am saying the Apple 24" display is Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt. Apple made two 27" displays, one Mini DisplayPort, one Thunderbolt. Apple did not make a 24" Thunderbolt display.

I need to connect my 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display to my Apple MacBook Pro (mid-2017), and there appears to be no adapter made by Apple to do this.

The Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt- 2-adapter

will work with Apple Thunderbolt displays (but not with Mini DisplayPort displays or adapters).

"In addition, it can be used to connect Thunderbolt-enabled displays — such as the Apple Thunderbolt Display and LG Thunderbolt 2 displays — to any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on your MacBook Pro."

That is Apple saying it will work. You can also look at customer reviews on that page and see that real people say it works with Thunderbolt displays. You will also see lots of people saying it doesn't work with non-Thunderbolt displays, which indicates that the reviews are real.

Mar 9, 2018 4:12 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

You realize that you are saying that Apple's THUNDERBOLT display is not Thunderbolt, but Mini DisplayPort, right?

You could well be right, but your advice conflicts with what manufacturers of Mini DisplayPort adapters are saying on Amazon's Q&A. 😕

I need to connect my 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display to my Apple MacBook Pro (mid-2017), and there appears to be no adapter made by Apple to do this.

I've just wasted 6 hours of my life online looking for an adapter to do this seemingly simple and straight forward task, but all I can find is conflicting advice from people who think their advice should work, but haven't actually done it to know if it really does work.

Has ANYONE out there actually connected a mid-2017 MacBook Pro to Apple's 27" Thunderbolt Display?

If so, do all the ports on the back of the Thunderbolt Display work for you?

If they do, *PLEASE* tell me exactly what adapter you got to do this.

If you haven't actually done this, I honestly do appreciate your willingness to help, but given that people out there are saying the opposite of you, the only thing I can trust at this point is the word from someone who's actually done it, and not sharing theoretical counsel. Thanks for understanding.

MacBook Pro 2017 not detecting Thunderbolt display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.