Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferred type of font for High Sierra 10.13.3

Hi, I'm sure there is an answer somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it. When I load new fonts on my computer, and have the option, what is the preferred format? Does True Type, or Type 1 cause the least problems if Open isn't an option? Thanks!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 9:55 AM

You can use any of these:

Type 1 PostScript

OpenType TrueType (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

OpenType PostScript (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

OpenType Variable (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

Legacy Mac TrueType

Legacy Windows TrueType (.ttf)

Legacy Windows TrueType Collection (.ttc)

Color Fonts (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

The last is limited at this time. Apple Color Emoji is a bitmap color font, which is the only flavor of four types macOS currently supports. The next most common color font is the SVG format (scalable vector graphics). You can use them now, but unless the app itself supports them, all you'll see them as is a standard black & white font. Right now, only the Adobe CC 2018 apps and the upcoming Quark XPress 2018 work with them. For browsers, Safari only supports the bitmap versions. You need to use Firefox or Chrome to see SVG color fonts correctly when they're being used on a web site.

OpenType is preferred simply because that's the way the entire font world is headed. None of the others will cause problems, as long as the fonts themselves aren't damaged. Non Unicode fonts though can have issues related to the fact they have no Unicode code points in them. Not so much to you, but if you transfer files to a vendor to produce a flyer or whatever, they may not come out as expected. Particularly if you use extended glyphs.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 9:55 AM in response to debdesigner

You can use any of these:

Type 1 PostScript

OpenType TrueType (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

OpenType PostScript (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

OpenType Variable (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

Legacy Mac TrueType

Legacy Windows TrueType (.ttf)

Legacy Windows TrueType Collection (.ttc)

Color Fonts (.ttf, .ttc, .otf)

The last is limited at this time. Apple Color Emoji is a bitmap color font, which is the only flavor of four types macOS currently supports. The next most common color font is the SVG format (scalable vector graphics). You can use them now, but unless the app itself supports them, all you'll see them as is a standard black & white font. Right now, only the Adobe CC 2018 apps and the upcoming Quark XPress 2018 work with them. For browsers, Safari only supports the bitmap versions. You need to use Firefox or Chrome to see SVG color fonts correctly when they're being used on a web site.

OpenType is preferred simply because that's the way the entire font world is headed. None of the others will cause problems, as long as the fonts themselves aren't damaged. Non Unicode fonts though can have issues related to the fact they have no Unicode code points in them. Not so much to you, but if you transfer files to a vendor to produce a flyer or whatever, they may not come out as expected. Particularly if you use extended glyphs.

Preferred type of font for High Sierra 10.13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.