Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an optimal version of MacOS for each model of Mac?

Is it correct to say that each new version of macOS is more demanding for the hardware and therefore, slows down the computer after each update?

I remember I had a MacBook black and it ended being really slow with the last version of macOS, even after doing a clean reinstallation of the system.

Hence my question: when should you stop upgrading to a new version of the system (regardless of functionalities gained or lost)? Is it advised?

In other words, do new versions of macOS make a Mac slower or faster?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:14 AM

Typically the latest macOS is the best—with the caveat you have more than the minimum requirements for RAM. There are limits.

SSD upgrade certainly helps with older machines as well.

It never pays to get too far behind in Software or Hardware.

Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Always have a backup in the event you have to fall back to a previous OS after upgrade—for many reason beside just performance.

How to create a boot clone

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 10:14 AM in response to Mowdya

Typically the latest macOS is the best—with the caveat you have more than the minimum requirements for RAM. There are limits.

SSD upgrade certainly helps with older machines as well.

It never pays to get too far behind in Software or Hardware.

Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

Always have a backup in the event you have to fall back to a previous OS after upgrade—for many reason beside just performance.

How to create a boot clone

Mar 2, 2018 9:13 AM in response to Mowdya

Mowdya wrote:

Is it correct to say that each new version of macOS is more demanding for the hardware and therefore, slows down the computer after each update?

Maybe, maybe not. While newer OS versions may require more resources, they are also optimized. It's been by experience that some newer versions have made my 2011 Mac Mini run faster and smoother than previous versions.

It's also majorly dependent on what is running on the computer besides the OS update.

Mowdya wrote:

I remember I had a MacBook black and it ended being really slow with the last version of macOS, even after doing a clean reinstallation of the system.

Hence my question: when should you stop upgrading to a new version of the system (regardless of functionalities gained or lost)? Is it advised?

In other words, do new versions of macOS make a Mac slower or faster?

New versions may slow down a computer, but in general a well kept machine should not in any way be subject to a crippling slowdown from an update. Also depending on how much RAM the computer has it may cope better with the new OS.

In general, its recommended to update to latest software if only to receive security patches and vulnerability fixes.

If a computer feels extremely slow after an OS update, then something else may be going on.

Note that generally, soon after an update the computer may be doing a lot of clean up, and will seem sluggish for a while. This should pass shortly however. Also many Anti Virus apps will attempt to scan the drive for threats after an update due to the many changes and that can also very much slow down the computer. It's generally suggested to not have Anti-Virus apps on a Mac as they are known to adversely affect the computer's performance. Macs are already very safe without them.

Is there an optimal version of MacOS for each model of Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.