Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if an email is a scam?

On my Apple iPad in my spam mail I received a notification that someone from Cambodia was trying to use my account. In blue letters I was to click and change my Apple ID and password to prevent a compromise to my secure identity. Is this a scam as I do not know how to tell if this is official from Apple. Thank you. Sharon

null-OTHER, Apple Ipad

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:59 AM

A good rule of thumb, Apple rarely to NEVER sends out mails like that. Pretty much every communication from them is initiated by you in some way, they send you a receipt if you buy something, they confirm you changed your password, they respond to you making an inquiry.

They will never contact you and tell you your credit card is expired....not unless you try to buy something with a card that is no longer valid, which is a transaction that will fail.

So pretty much every communication will stem from you initiating it in some way.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 10:59 AM in response to sharonfromstewartville

A good rule of thumb, Apple rarely to NEVER sends out mails like that. Pretty much every communication from them is initiated by you in some way, they send you a receipt if you buy something, they confirm you changed your password, they respond to you making an inquiry.

They will never contact you and tell you your credit card is expired....not unless you try to buy something with a card that is no longer valid, which is a transaction that will fail.

So pretty much every communication will stem from you initiating it in some way.

How can I tell if an email is a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.