Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDFs open in tab not new window

Hey everyone, I found an old thread on this but the issue wasn't resolved. I work with multiple PDFs a day for work, and ever since upgrading to High Sierra, I've had this issue. PDFs open in a new tab of a window that's already open. Not only that, but the new tab isn't even active. I've checked and rechecked the option in Preview > Preferences for opening new files in their own window. No luck.

Has anyone found a fix for this issue? It's seriously slowing me down. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:14 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 7, 2018 10:10 AM in response to CountryGirl56

I have made these changes to the Dock settings and still no luck. Just an update, it is now happening randomly. For example, when opening multiple PDF attachments (one at a time) from a mail message, they each open in their own window. However when opening pdf files from client folders, sometimes they open in their own windows, others time they open in tabs.

Mar 7, 2018 10:23 AM in response to Brent Darting

Another update, it seems to be fixed (hopefully it stays that way). I had the dock preference for tabs set to manually, I then switched it to "in full screen only" with no luck. Once I switch it back to manually it now seems to be working, opened PDF regardless of location are opening in their own window. This seemed to work for someone else in an older thread as well. FWIW, I also unchecked the box in Finder > Preferences > General next to "open folders in tabs instead of windows".

Thanks for everyone's time.

PDFs open in tab not new window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.