Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive issues

Hello All.

Over the past few days, whenever I boot up my MacPro, it either starts loading and then stops or starts loading and going to a black screen.

On several occasions now, I have booted the MacPro in recovery mode did a First Aid.

But still the problem arises.Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 9:58 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 2, 2018 10:50 AM in response to Ian Butterfield

what model Mac pro, how much RAM, what graphics card, are any red light on next to DIMMs after such a failure ????

what is showing on the screen?

The solid Apple is not in the Mac's ROM at startup. The Apple logo can only appear when it is fetched in the first "blob" of software loaded from a known place on the boot drive. Then a whole lot of stuff is initialized.

The next step requires a lot of files by name, so the File System is initialized, and the Boot Drive is Mounted. If the drive directory is damaged, the drive can not be Mounted, so your Mac begins one pass of Disk Utility Repair. This will take an additional about five minutes.

at the end of that process, it will attempt to Mount the drive again:

-- if the drive Mounts, boot-up continues.

-- if the drive cannot be Mounted, your mac can do nothing more, so it powers off.

Mar 7, 2018 1:24 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The HD is as old as the machine when bought new.

When booting up, I often have to restart into Recovery Mode and First Aid the HD.

Last night, I ran a First Aid just before booting down and the boot up this morning was fine.

I didn't have time to do the First Aid this afternoon when booting down. So when I booted up this evening, the grey screen appeared but no Apple logo......just nothing happened.

So I had to restart into Recovery Mode for another First Aid.

Hard Drive issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.