Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to arrange my bookmarks folders in alphabetical order, but drag and drop doesn't seem to work for me?

I want to arrange my bookmark folders in alphabetical order, but drag and drop doesn't seem to work for me?

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 11:37 AM

15 replies

Mar 2, 2018 2:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I did some reading on it and it's an all or nothing app. I would like to choose folders to have the contents sorted alphanumerically. That may be a deal breaker for me.

The old way of dragging a folder of bookmarks to the Desktop, sorting with the Finder and then dragging the folder back into Safari's bookmarks doesn't work any more. Bummer!

I may try it after saving a copy of the Safari bookmarks file, Bookmarks.plist. If I do I'll post back and let you know if it messed things up to much.

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2018 3:20 PM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

I'm interested in that app, have you used it and how can you tell us what you do and don't like about it?

As Old Toad mentioned it is an all or nothing process. Safari isn't my primary browser but it does do exactly what it is designed to do, which is sort all bookmarks in alphabetical order. You can choose to order folders first.

Of course if you have some special organization it will ignore that.

Mar 2, 2018 4:04 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Safari Technology Preview does have the capability for sort individual folders of bookmarks. I was hoping I could sort them in STP and move the bookmark over to Safari's folder. Can't do that as there's no Bookmark.plist file that I can fide associated with STP. 😟

I'd go ahead and just use STP but it does't seem to use the css files that I've created to modify the ASC.

Mar 2, 2018 4:37 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

Are you sure you're not in Safari Technology Preview? I don't get that contextual menu in Safari:

Pretty sure. Safari is the one without "Technology Preview" at the end? LOL

Sorry to say, I was on a Safari version to come.

I did find out that STP and Safari use the same bookmark file. So when I sorted the folders in STP they were sorted in Safari when I next launched Safari !

Tada! 😎

I want to arrange my bookmarks folders in alphabetical order, but drag and drop doesn't seem to work for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.