Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air isn't charging: it says it is charged when it isn't

Hi,

So basically, my battery has been having episodes of "not charging". When I plug in the MagSafe charger, it says that the battery isn't charging and is instead being powered by a power adapter. I've had this on and off for a couple of weeks. I don't know if Macs can be affected by weather, but it only seems to do this on cold days.

Anyhow, when it does charge, it charges, and that's great, it works fine. However now, I've hit a new problem. Battery, when I click on the icon in the top corner, says that it's fully charged at 97% -- yet the colour of the MagSafe charger is still orange. When you look at the "About this Mac" "system report" it says this:

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 5660

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6164

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 501

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -2

Voltage (mV): 8334

So now, I don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BTt

EDIT: I'm running a MacBook Air, early 2015, V.10.11.6 OS X El Capitan

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 11:58 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 4, 2018 8:34 AM in response to BTtBT

Between 95% and 100% there's a little trick that's done to prevent premature battery wear. If you leave it plugged in all the time it will charge up to 100% and then stop charging the battery. Self-discharge and supplemental current needs will then draw down the battery to under 95%, at which point it will then charge up to 100% and then repeat the cycle. While it's drawing slowly down to 95% it will always be saying that it's charged.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the orange light.

Macbook Air isn't charging: it says it is charged when it isn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.