Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion Question

I am trying to figure out a way to link a control point from a Bezier line in Motion, to a circle shape that i created in Motion. For the life of me, I cannot figure this out. This cannot be that hard. Right???

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 1:03 PM

danfromrichfield wrote:

…I've been banging my head against a wall all day trying to figure this out.

This is indeed big voodoo … Master-Class …LOL

step-by-step:

User uploaded file

here's your project (reduced…), what you have found out so far: you can not link, nor animate the shapes Control Points.

So, you have to add a 'Nil Object' = a png or jpg, I'm using here from M5s content a Crosshair.png…

User uploaded file

To make this Nil-Object usable in FCPX, I added an OSC-group with a BuldgeFilter, and linked the Crosshair's X/Ypos to it => now, we have a crosshair, moveable with an OSC - but not moving shape …yet:

Apply to the BezierShape a Track Point behave… uncheck point 2 and 3 …

you're still alive and following…? 😉

User uploaded file

Now, tell (=drag into well) the Behavior to track the crosshair.png…

Attach to source…

AND hit Analyze! << very important step…

ok, but nothing to analyze, you say? yep, but that is the magic sauce of this trick:

User uploaded file

When you now move the OSC (in Motion or FCPX) the shape/line/control point follows!

nice, hm? 😉

(oh, and uncheck the Nil group - not need to display …)

(Thanks to Mark Spencer from rippletraining, who published this advice at YT)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 1:03 PM in response to danfromrichfield

danfromrichfield wrote:

…I've been banging my head against a wall all day trying to figure this out.

This is indeed big voodoo … Master-Class …LOL

step-by-step:

User uploaded file

here's your project (reduced…), what you have found out so far: you can not link, nor animate the shapes Control Points.

So, you have to add a 'Nil Object' = a png or jpg, I'm using here from M5s content a Crosshair.png…

User uploaded file

To make this Nil-Object usable in FCPX, I added an OSC-group with a BuldgeFilter, and linked the Crosshair's X/Ypos to it => now, we have a crosshair, moveable with an OSC - but not moving shape …yet:

Apply to the BezierShape a Track Point behave… uncheck point 2 and 3 …

you're still alive and following…? 😉

User uploaded file

Now, tell (=drag into well) the Behavior to track the crosshair.png…

Attach to source…

AND hit Analyze! << very important step…

ok, but nothing to analyze, you say? yep, but that is the magic sauce of this trick:

User uploaded file

When you now move the OSC (in Motion or FCPX) the shape/line/control point follows!

nice, hm? 😉

(oh, and uncheck the Nil group - not need to display …)

(Thanks to Mark Spencer from rippletraining, who published this advice at YT)

Mar 2, 2018 5:46 PM in response to danfromrichfield

Post the attachment (or link).

If I understand you correctly, the easiest thing to do is put the Line and the Circle in their own group. Set the Anchor Point of the Line to one end (the circle end). You animate both by controlling the Group Position parameter and you can animate the angle of the line with the Rotation.Z parameter of the line (which will rotate about its anchor point), OR, in all likelihood, Motion will use the line's anchor point for the group which means you will be able to use the Group > Rotation > Z parameter to rotate both.

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2018 4:16 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for the lack of details.

Im trying to make a generator that can be used as a template in FCP for adding text and arrows to items within videos.

There is a circle that scales in (using keyframes) and then a line grows and then a rectangular box appears which will show text eventually. I am hoping to have the circle item track with the control point of the line item so that when I publish to FCP I will be able to adjust the angle of the line using the X and Y axis. (see the attached item for more info) The circle will only interacts with the bottom of the line (ie control point) so that when the line moves, the circles move with it.

Hopefully, this helps clarify what you are looking for.

Mar 4, 2018 9:10 PM in response to danfromrichfield

danfromrichfield wrote:

…would never have figured this out.

… nobody would … LOL!

One of the biggest riddles in Motion, aside the mythical '-0.5' in OSCs (yes, fox, you have explained to me on several occasions … still don't get it 😝)

Maybe, maybe in some future iteration of Motion, Apple offers us a tool-box, to add knobs&sliders to any parameter …<dreamModeOFF> …

Glad I could help…

Motion Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.