Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why apple wouldn't add an option to reset mobile data statistics monthly and automatically

i can use the exitant reset statistics, but i should remember to do that on time, or should i add a reminder for that.

it's so obvious that many users would be pleased if this function is present in IOS like Android, and even more, in fact, in android they have also separate data statistics on wifi connections and mobile connections ...

so why IOS is not looking to do that !!!

i'm using IOS since it was born, but some simple things is missing since years now!!

This feature, is essential to mesure mobile data consumption monthly since it cost money ? an is invoiced monthly by operators. i know i can ask operator for my statistics, but it can be there without asking ! or even more, IOS can be programmed de limit that consumption by quota...

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 11:54 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 4, 2018 3:28 AM in response to Fanjustical

"Wifi cosumes more batterie than carrier signal,"

You have that backwards. Carrier Signals consume more battery than the WiFi signal. This has been proven.

"Adding a reminder is helpful but not as comfortable as automatic resetting

why do we use technology if it is not for our comfort, and better living!"

I can't answer that for you, but I have a reminder to reset my data. The external app works in conjunction with the data counter on the phone.

"external application will do the job, but this feature shouldn't be there with the IOS? and if billing day differ from one user to another, so it should be a parameter for the resetting day!"

Easy to say, hard to implement because of that factor.

Mar 2, 2018 12:57 PM in response to Fanjustical

If you are concerned about using the measurements of cellular data on the iPhone, you need to set yourself a reminder to reset them. The biggest issue is that each person's billing dates differ, and how the carrier measures data differ as well. You are best to find out from your carrier when your billing date is, and then create a recurring reminder to reset at the end of that day.

You can suggest this to Apple by going here, https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and leaving feedback.

Mar 5, 2018 7:50 AM in response to Fanjustical

iOS does not have this feature. Period. If it is a feature of overwhelming importance to you either let Apple know at https://apple.com/feedback (posting in this user to user forum does NOT let Apple know, as they don't participate except as moderators) or get a phone that has the feature you desperately need. Even if Apple sees the need, which they would if thousands of people provide feedback, it's still a year or more away. I've been resetting mine manually for 10 years, by having a repeating reminder.

BTW, there's a real downside to automatic resetting - you don't get to see the final number for the billing period. I review it before resetting, and also see which apps used data and how much for each app. So even if the feature existed I wouldn't use it.

There's also yet another way to get that information. The app Dataman DOES reset statistics in the app on a date you choose, and keeps a history of your data use throughout the month in a readable format. It also lets you set warning levels, and tracks Wi-Fi usage also. And breaks down between download and upload.

Mar 2, 2018 12:49 PM in response to Fanjustical

This could be on the carrier to send the data to reset the data every month, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you want something like that, download "Traffic Monitor" by RadioOPT on the App Store. I use it in conjunction with the default iPhone stats, but I tend to take the data reported by Traffic Monitor as more accurate. It will show both download and upload usage. In addition you can set the "monthly reset data day" (the day your data resets to 0) and it does it all by itself.

Mar 2, 2018 12:57 PM in response to Fanjustical

Why would you have to 'ask' your carrier for statistics? I can look on my carrier's web site or look at their app installed on my phone and see exactly where I stand in relation to how much data I subscribe to... If you're cutting it so close that you're paying overage charges on a regular basis you should probably subscribe to a larger data plan...

Mar 3, 2018 8:50 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I do this with the data counter on the iPhone. Before heading into work at 11:45pm, just before my data resets, I go in and reset the stats. I'm not using the phone for 15 minutes anyways, and it's only going to be a few bytes off, so what do I care. I do use it in conjunction with the Traffic Monitor. I don't have to, but it's there.

As soon as I get into work, I'm on WiFi.

Mar 4, 2018 2:48 AM in response to Driver8666

Wifi cosumes more batterie than carrier signal,

Adding a reminder is helpful but not as comfortable as automatic resetting

why do we use technology if it is not for our comfort, and better living!

external application will do the job, but this feature shouldn't be there with the IOS? and if billing day differ from one user to another, so it should be a parameter for the resetting day!

Looking to carrier's web site will show me statistics, but why should i ask another one for my data consumption, and i should create an account, accessing the web site ...(no carrier app since last year)

Mar 4, 2018 3:41 PM in response to Fanjustical

Wifi cosumes more batterie than carrier signal

As you have been told, that is incorrect.

Looking to carrier's web site will show me statistics, but why should i ask another one for my data consumption, and i should create an account, accessing the web site ...(no carrier app since last year)

The only statistics for carrier data that matter is what the carrier bills you for. Your data usage on the device could be used to make sure the carrier stays honest, however their method of billing depends on what they use for the multiplier. In other words, what part of a megabyte, or gigabyte do they determine to bill you by.

Mar 4, 2018 4:41 PM in response to Fanjustical

My carrier provides an app. I can open the app to view the data usage I am being billed for any time I want, for any of the devices on my family plan. The statistics on the phone are not going to be as accurate as what the carrier reports directly, and will not include the other devices on my plan.

I also have a wireless hotspot on my account. It has a real-time display of data usage that is updated continuously; it has the advantage that it reports the usage total for all of the devices on my family plan.

Mar 5, 2018 3:13 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Data statistics is there (in IOS), and it is not usable for you in that form either! Therefore, you don't even need it!

For those who need it, it would be better, if there is also automatic reset! That cost nothing for users.

And what about, that Android have these features since years now? It is certainly for the benefits of some.

And I’m not asking for a precision to the kilo byte...

I am wondering why it is not there.

All the excuses from users are that they have another solution to get these statistics or they do not use it, but i guess that giving some features will be benefic for IOS, for Apple. Since it cover all what users want to see.

Mar 5, 2018 4:07 AM in response to Fanjustical

"Data statistics is there (in IOS), and it is not usable for you in that form either! Therefore, you don't even need it!

For those who need it, it would be better, if there is also automatic reset! That cost nothing for users."

Automatic reset would be beneficial, but no 2 users on here have the same billing date. I manually reset mine before midnight EST today, because my billing cycle starts again today. The problem here lies because of the fact different users have different billing cycles.Whether the provider can push the reset out to the device is another animal in the room altogether. Mine doesn't.

"And what about, that Android have these features since years now? It is certainly for the benefits of some".

Yes they do. Did I use it? I get to burn through 8GB a month and barely make it over 15-20% of that. You tell me. I'm on WiFi most if not all the time. And I only use private networks, not public. Do I use the data counter on the iPhone? To some extent. But that only measures cell usage. WiFi usage is not tabulated. The app mentioned earlier does tabulate WiFi usage. Not that I care.

"All the excuses from users are that they have another solution to get these statistics or they do not use it, but i guess that giving some features will be benefic for IOS, for Apple. Since it cover all what users want to see".

This isin't an excuse. Multiple ways exist to get your data "draw" at any given time.

Mar 5, 2018 5:05 AM in response to Driver8666

"Automatic reset would be beneficial, but no 2 users on here have the same billing date"

For that there should be a parameter for the resetting day (reset could occur every 1st of month or 1st day of the week ...) and thats it!

"I manually reset mine before midnight EST today, because my billing cycle starts again today"

You too, have to have this feature in IOS, to do it automatically!

"I'm on WiFi most if not all the time"

I am not, i hate wifi (on the phone), and i am always connected, especially with mails, so i do use internet with my phone all time, with no restrictions, and i do not consume that much of data (with my phone), and have sufficient quota (i consume only half of my quota). but i need to see how much i have had consumed, just information, i do not really need it, but it's good to know, and i don't want to bother myself to ask my carrier how much data have i consumed last month or until now every month!

"Traffic Monitor", is good, and it answer my questions, but why isn't it there, made by Apple for IOS?

why apple wouldn't add an option to reset mobile data statistics monthly and automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.