Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Congratulations! Amazon User - Not fixed by Clear History, etc

The pop-up appears when accessing the weather channel. I avoid the pop-up, and close it by using the multi-window icon from lower right of Safari and "x" out, then swipe out to exit Safari

Tried the following:

1) Settings - Safari - Clear History and Website Data (also deleting history on my laptop)

2) Settings - Privacy - Advertising - Reset Advertising Identifier

3) Shutdown iPhone after the above actions

4) I don't have the Amazon app on my iPhone. I have no new apps recently.

5) Settings - Safari - Advanced - JavaScript switched to off position

Attempts 1 through 4 did not work. Attempt 5 worked, but I could not access the java functions in the weather channel. When I re-enabled Java, the unwanted pop-up reappeared.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2018 8:22 AM

Hello Pastor Ed,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you are receiving an unwanted pop-up and even after completing troubleshooting steps the issue persists. Using a content blocker as suggested in the article below may be helpful:

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use content blockers

With iOS 9 and iPhone 5s or later, you can use content blockers in Safari. Content blockers are third-party apps and extensions that let Safari block cookies, images, resources, pop-ups, and other content.

Here's how to get a content blocker:

1. Download a content blocking app from the App Store.
  2. Tap Settings > Safari > Content Blockers, then set up the extensions that you want. You can use more than one content blocker.

If you need help, contact the app developer.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2018 8:22 AM in response to Pastor Ed

Hello Pastor Ed,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you are receiving an unwanted pop-up and even after completing troubleshooting steps the issue persists. Using a content blocker as suggested in the article below may be helpful:

Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use content blockers

With iOS 9 and iPhone 5s or later, you can use content blockers in Safari. Content blockers are third-party apps and extensions that let Safari block cookies, images, resources, pop-ups, and other content.

Here's how to get a content blocker:

1. Download a content blocking app from the App Store.
  2. Tap Settings > Safari > Content Blockers, then set up the extensions that you want. You can use more than one content blocker.

If you need help, contact the app developer.

Best Regards.

Mar 10, 2018 8:30 AM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Thank you Alwayswantingtohelp1!

The next day it was gone - without action. opmsironman posted on March 10 that "this type of pop up has nothing to do with the device you are on. ... it is a scam that makes use of a JavaScript vulnerability in a site's advertising code. It is the site that is affected not your device." That explains why it was url specific and why actions on my phone, with the exception of blocking JavaScript, was unsuccessful.

However, Alwayswantingtohelp1 - I will keep your suggestion in my files because next time the url host may not correct the issue as quickly as "The Weather Channel".

Thanks again!

Congratulations! Amazon User - Not fixed by Clear History, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.