Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using command + "~" to toggle to last used window in app, not last opened

Hi, I am trying to move to a mac after using Windows, I tried several years ago but I am finding the OS much more amenable now, in particular as I am a big user of the iphone and ipad pro. One thing I am trying to set up are keyboard shortcuts. A perplexing issue I am having in workflow is that when you use the cmd + Tab to toggle between apps, just like on Windows, when you get into an app and then want to toggle amongst the open windows, the function to do that, cmd + ~, does not work the same way: cmd + tab moves you to the last "used" app, whereas cmd + ~ moves through the last opened window of the given app, but not the last one. This is very frustrating when trying for example to work within two open windows and view the info, or copy and paste between them. using the shift key to go "back" is cumbersome as that is a third key that needs to be pressed, and generally it's an awkward flow.

I would be glad for any suggestion, ideally native, but if not third party, that would allow one to toggle with an app to the last used window.

Thanks

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 1:20 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2018 2:48 PM in response to Kappy

Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Those are all very basic functions, but if you read my question carefully, not only is it not covered in those links, but there is no solution. I'm writing this out in detail in the hopes that future users may find this article in Google more easily, as I was not able to find much on this subject anywhere on the web, other than it's not possible.

I did in the meantime look closely at two third party apps:

contexts.co

watch

I have gone with contexts.co and it solved the problem effortlessly and gave me some other benefit. It's really a shame the native OS on Mac does not allow for this customization, in particular the fact that the cmd + tab does one experience, ie reverts the order of the apps searched to the last used one, while cmd + ~ uses another logic, ie cycle through the windows in the order they were opened. I would love to hear the rationale for that, as I, and a myriad of other power users out there (stack exchange, etc.) are wondering the same.

For now I'm happy I've solved the problem. Kudos to the authors of contexts.co

Using command + "~" to toggle to last used window in app, not last opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.