Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recover data

I’m trying to recover my data from my intern SSD…

The problem started while I was doing the update to macOS High Sierra. My MacBook Pro could not finish this process and stopped halfway through it. This could be due to three reasons (a power cut, not enough space on my SSD or an other issue)

When I wanted to restart my MacBook Pro, a “no entry” sign appeared on boot. I already figured out the only way to get around this was to hold CMD + R at startup. This loaded the recovery partition. When the utilities screen popped up, I tried to reinstall macOS High Sierra, but no disk could be found (I think because my SSD was completely full,500gb). So I knew at that point my only option was to reformat the SSD and reinstall the OS. But I did not want to loose 500gb worth of data. So I first made a disk image of my SSD on an external hard drive. (As that was the only option I had at that time)

I made three disk images from the SSD: Read-only, Compressed and Read/write. These disk image files are now on my external hard drive. (Two dmg files and one car file.) Now that I got High Sierra nicely installed, I want to open these disk image files and recover my data but I am unable to open them. When I do, the following message appears: image disk cannot be opened, no mountable file systems. I don’t have a back-up 😟know that a disk image is not a suitable replacement for a backup...so stupid. Please help.

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 7:11 PM

You imaged a non-bootable system disk with no mountable filesystem on it. Hence, the error you get now. Your only probable way of recovery is to try recovery software to see if anything is recoverable from one of the disk images you made.

General File Recovery

If you stop using the disk it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on a bootable CD to enable use without risk of writing more data to the disk. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and Cisdem DataRecovery. Recovery software usually provides trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service like Drive Savers, which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 7:11 PM in response to xyleem

You imaged a non-bootable system disk with no mountable filesystem on it. Hence, the error you get now. Your only probable way of recovery is to try recovery software to see if anything is recoverable from one of the disk images you made.

General File Recovery

If you stop using the disk it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on a bootable CD to enable use without risk of writing more data to the disk. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and Cisdem DataRecovery. Recovery software usually provides trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service like Drive Savers, which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

recover data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.