Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homekit scenes buggy/not working

I am having an issue where HomePod will not recognized my Hue light scenes in Homekit. This problem occurs just in the kitchen, where my home pod is based. If I ask it to turn on a kitchen scene, it will respond that the scene hasnt been set up yet.

HomePod does recognize scenes elsewhere in the home. Also, if I ask HomePod to turn off all lights, it will only turn off lights in the kitchen. I have to specifically ask HomePod to turn off lights in the living room, etc, for that to occur.

Any Ideas?

HomePod

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 1:29 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 2, 2018 5:21 PM in response to Pat X

I had this problem too.

- For the scenes too work correctly, this worked for me, was to ensure, via "Hue" app settings->"HomeKit & Siri" Lights were in synch and all ticked, if not tap them to synch with siri. if still having issues then settings->advanced "Reset HomeKit & Siri" Reset, I had to do both to make it work properly. I only found that the missing scenes only occurred after initial setup with hue lights. Never occurred again after I resynch'd and reset.

- As for the "all lights", I found this would work only in the room homepod was set too, sometimes it would do all the light in the house, to get around this in Homekit you can create Zones, under Rooms -> "Room Settings", and then you can link your rooms into a zone, eg Front, back, upstairs, down stairs, etc.

Mar 2, 2018 3:24 PM in response to evilcougar

Oh and one more thing

Try testing siri on your iphone or ipad pad when you are say "hey siri turn on/off blah blah", so you can see the voice to text translation on screen. I found sometimes siri misunderstands certain sentences or auto corrects to something else. At least if you talk to siri on your iphone/ipad you can see what she translates what you are saying in text. I found some words I have for my scenes got translated to something else entirely by siri, so I changed/renamed scenes to something that was always understood

Mar 3, 2018 8:14 PM in response to Pat X

I’m having a different buggy/not working experience with my HomePod.

That is, much of the time, it just doesn’t *work*. I will ask it to set some scene - which could be a combination of Hue lights, an Ecobee thermostat, and a few iDevices outlet switches - and it will either simply not work at all, or it will half-assed do it. For example, for my “goodnight” scene, it’s supposed to turn off all of my lights except for in the bedroom and switch on an air filter. But HomePod will turn off a light here, or a light there - not all of them. If I repeat the command, it will turn off another light or two. Repeat the command...another light. Eventually they’ll all turn off. Or it just won’t work at all. This happens about 50% of the time (rendering my fancy HomePod pretty much useless for controlling homekit).

The annoying part is that everything is set up and working fine. If I pick up my phone and tap in the Home app, I can choose the exact scene I just asked HomePod to set, and it immediately sets exactly as it should. Every time my HomePod failed to execute a scene, a moment later my phone could do it without a problem. So the problem *is* the HomePod.

Even more annoying is that now that the HomePod is set up, it grabs every “Hey Siri” command it can hear (and it hears all...), so if it won’t perform the command, I can’t get my phone to do it because it is now always submissive to the HomePod and essentially doesn’t work in my home for voice commands. I used to have an old iPad plugged in listening as my “always on” home hub, and it worked 99% of the time. I’d have a more seamless, less frustrating HomeKit experience if I turned off the capability on my HomePod and just pulled out my phone whenever I wanted to set a scene.

Oh, and because Apple couldn’t possibly have found a place for a discreet power/reset button on this pristine object d’art, when I want to reset it (which will fix the problem for a day or two), I have to crawl under my media stand and unplug it from the wall.

Apple is making it *REALLY* hard to remain a loyal citizen of its ecosystem - and my formerly avid Apple friends have begun abandoning it for Google because their stuff “just works” better than Apple these days.

Mar 4, 2018 7:49 AM in response to gotommy

Sorry to hear all the HomeKit issues you are having. I followed the advice above and I reset “Homekit and Siri” in the Hue app. This deleted all of my existing scenes, but now when I ask for a scene on the HomePod it works.

If if you want to avoid your HomePod for Hey Siri tasks, just activists Siri on your iPhone or iPad. i suppose that defeats the point of a hands fred assistant but it Is a work around.

Homekit scenes buggy/not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.