Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV freezes, locks up, flickers and doesnt sleep after being idle

Im pretty frustrated with my AppleTV 4k. i am on the second one after taking my original back to the Apple store and getting a replacement shipped to the store with the same exact issue. The Apple service rep explained that it is issues in the device's Operating System and that it needed a complete wipe and have the Operating system put back on. Since he couldnt do this in store, a replacement was then sent to the store for me to pick up.

My problems are the following:

- when I leave my AppleTV idle for about a day, I cant "wake it up" from sleep. The light is on but I have a black screen. I have to unplug and the replug in to get it to work/ get to gome app screen.

- When I select sleep mode, it NEVER goes to sleep..no matter what sleep timer I select. The only time the sleep mode works is if I immediately put it to sleep.

- After being idle for ~30 mins or greater, there are times when I turn my TV to the home app screen and the screen flickers on and off repeatedly. The only way to exit this is to unplug the device and replug it in.

This is frustrating, since I have 2 latest gen apple tvs on other tvs that are not 4k and are flawless. I have a Samsung 55" 4k tv hooked up to the Appletv. Is there a short or error in apple tv 4k's?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 11.2.6, null

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 1:50 PM

There are no replies.

AppleTV freezes, locks up, flickers and doesnt sleep after being idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.