Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder won't alphabetize during file save

During Save As command, my Finder box will not alphabetize (arrange by name)

Finder works fine arranging by name and type during simple file Search

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 2:43 PM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2018 3:08 PM in response to mzimpfer

mzimpfer wrote:

During Save As command, my Finder box will not alphabetize (arrange by name)

Finder works fine arranging by name and type during simple file Search

Is this in the Finder? Or in all of your File/Open or File/Save windows? I'm having a similar issue but only in column view in the File/Open or Save dialog. See my open thread here: Sierra - From any application, can't sort files in alphabetical order (in column view)

Mar 4, 2018 4:56 PM in response to mzimpfer

This may not solve your problem, but what you want is Arrange By "None." You see, "arrange" is different than "sort." The Arrange function in the Finder and file dialogs is for grouping files. Arrange = Group. When you turn off arranging buy setting it to "none" you get files sorted by name, or whatever column (in list view) you have selected as the sort column.

Mar 5, 2018 9:37 AM in response to MacMostGary

MacMostGary wrote:

This may not solve your problem, but what you want is Arrange By "None." You see, "arrange" is different than "sort." The Arrange function in the Finder and file dialogs is for grouping files. Arrange = Group. When you turn off arranging buy setting it to "none" you get files sorted by name, or whatever column (in list view) you have selected as the sort column.

I actually have a similar issue (see the link in the previous reply) where Finder is doing what you're suggesting fine (and how you can hold 'option' when clicking the Arrange button to get the 'Sort By' options) but the File/Open or File/Save dialog doesn't... even if 'None' is selected, it doesn't default to sorting by name. It's some weird combo of file kind and seemingly arbitrary sorting.

I wonder if this is what the OP is referring to...

Finder won't alphabetize during file save

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.