Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Unlock System Preferences After Upgraded to High Sierra

I upgraded to High Sierra a few days ago. Today I went to change some stuff in my System Preference Panes and discovered that I cannot unlock any of them.

I do not use a password on my iMac. I used to just be able to click "unlock" and the pane would unlock. Now it shakes at me and does not unlock.

I have tried logging out of the account and logging back in - and that works fine. I have tried powering down and then powering up, and have zero problem using the computer. I have tried reseting the password in my keychain, and still no joy.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks.

Jerry

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 5:01 AM

That is correct. You cannot install software without a password. Fix your Admin account to use a password. It's also more secure if your computer could be accessed without your knowledge or by unwanted persons.

6 replies

Mar 2, 2018 3:20 PM in response to Jerry Novick

My administrator account has a password, but this post says a blank password might not work:

If you can't unlock settings in System Preferences - Apple Support

I think there is another System Preference setting that eliminates the prompt for a password each time you try to make a change when logged-in as an administrator. I do use that option to avoid having to provide a password each time I update a system preference as an administrator.

As I recall, it changed to always asking for a password when I upgraded to Sierra. I had to change it back to avoid the password prompt. Sorry, but I am not at may iMac and cannot recall where that option is located in System Preferences.

Mar 2, 2018 3:34 PM in response to Jerry Novick

I think is this how I got System Preferences to stop prompting for a password while logged-in to my administrator account. Note that my administrator account does have a password.

• Click the System Preferences icon in the Dock.
  • User uploaded file Click the Security & Privacy icon, and then click the General tab.
  • User uploaded file If grayed out, click the Lock icon, type an administrator name and password, and then click Unlock.
  • User uploaded file Click Advanced.
  • User uploaded file Uncheck the Require an administrator password to access system preferences with lock icons check box.
  • User uploaded file Click OK.
  • User uploaded file Click the Close button.

If the Require an administrator password to access system preferences with lock icons was set on your system, then maybe setting a password, unchecking that option, and then removing the password may resolve your problem.

Cannot Unlock System Preferences After Upgraded to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.