Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail server access problem

After years without this problem my outgoing mail attempts result in the following error message:

Mail Server error message

‘Cannot send message using the server SMTP

The sender address xxxx was rejected by the server smtp.mail.att.net

The server response was 5.7.1 Authentication required

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or try later’

Besides the highlighted SMTP server the other servers listed are iCloud (Offline) and sbcglobal.net (Offline)

When I select the sbcglobal.net server my pending outgoing mail is sent; however subsequent mail attempts result in the same error message requiring changing the same selection each time. I have rebooted my router without improvement in this problem. Checking my accounts with Connection Doctor, my sbcglobal.net IMAP account is online but my iCloud IMAP account is offline and the Enable this account box just reverts to the unchecked state after selecting it.

Suggestions welcome.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 3:53 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 3, 2018 12:54 PM in response to LACAllen

Thanks for the response. I checked out the link you sent and see that my settings already included automatic connection management. Re-entering my AT&T password had no improvement. Unless the other settings are incorrect I do not see where I can make further changes. Should the host name just be mail.att.net? I am running High Sierra. Here is what my settings screen looks like (different from the example for Sierra OS in the above link).

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2018 1:52 PM in response to LACAllen

I have not intentionally changed any mail settings, although this seems to have started after upgrading to High Sierra from El Capitan. As far as I recall my sbcglobal.net address has always applied to this account, and my ISP has been AT&T for years. The only setting I see with my user name is in the box titled user name; if that should be changed what should it say?

One apparent difference from El Capitan seems to include more iCloud involvement than I noticed before; in my iCloud settings I have not checked the Mail app box since mail had been working fine. Could that have any impact on this issue?

Mar 5, 2018 10:18 AM in response to LACAllen

My problem persists with my Apple Mail account accessing the IMAP server for both Mail and iCloud. Connection Doctor seems to indicate a connection ok with the SMTP server, but outgoing as well as incoming mail is currently unavailable. Logging in directly to my Yahoo internet mail account is working fine. Unless there is some combination of settings I can find in need of change I am thinking it may require my deleting and re-establishing my Apple Mail account. If this is needed, I could use some advice for doing that. Your thoughts?

mail server access problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.