Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDV lag on skimming

Hi (Bonjour)

Here's my problem.

Running brand new iMac 5K 27 mid-2017 4.2 Ghz 32 Go RAM, lates High Sierra updates. Thunderbolt 2 7200 rpm hard drive with USB C adaptor.

Capturing from HDV tape from Sony FX-1 via firewire + thunderbold 2 adaptor + USB C adaptor. The capture process run like a breeze either chained on the hard drive or plugged in the second USB C port.

Now the playback: there is an important lagging when I skim over those clips in browser and in timeline (either HDV 1440 X 1080 29.98i project). No proxy generated.

But...previously captured material (before FCP X 10.4 version) in a different event, with the same setup, skim fluidly without problem. Double checking the clip infos return the same codecs and values. Tried to capture new files and skim in browser in a different project on different hard drive: same issue.

When I open the original media files in finder and opening them in QT player 7 or 10.4, the older clip play well and the newer lag terribly. Same codec, same size. What's the matter?

Thank You

Michel Boissonneault

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 4.2 Ghz, 32 Go RAM, Sony HXR-NX5R

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 12:56 PM

Clearly there was a problem in the import.

I can’t say if it was a one-off thing, a problem in 10.4 or something specific to your system.

You’ll have to reimport. If it doesn’t work with FCP X, try importing using Quicktime Player. I hope someone with a similar setup can offer some more specific advice.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 12:56 PM in response to Michel Boissonneault

Clearly there was a problem in the import.

I can’t say if it was a one-off thing, a problem in 10.4 or something specific to your system.

You’ll have to reimport. If it doesn’t work with FCP X, try importing using Quicktime Player. I hope someone with a similar setup can offer some more specific advice.

Mar 3, 2018 12:56 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi (Bonjour) Luis,

I've tried a sequence capture within QT player 7, on internal and external hard drive, NO problem: no lagging upon skimming in QT player. File capture within FCP X lag on skimming, but the clip is complete, no missing frame on playback at regular speed. It 's seems that the file in fragmented with the capture in FCP X. But I cannot confirm this.

Michel

Mar 9, 2018 5:00 PM in response to Michel Boissonneault

Hi(Bonjour)!

Here’s a follow up:

Today, I’ve restored FCP 10.3.4 from my Time Machine backup, in app folder.

The test:

1) Capturing HDV from my FX1 in FCP X 10.3.4 works as expected, despite the capture window displayed just the first 15 frames in loop. All clips are complete, skimming in FCP or QT player or in finder with preview is smooth, very responsive.

2) Capturing HDV from my FX1 in FCP X 10.4 works as expected, but this time, the capture window displays all images from all clip, same thing like FCP X 10.2 from two years now. All clip in browser are complete and play well, but they are lagging on skimming in FCP or QT player or in finder with preview.

3) Importing one clip captured in FCP 10.3.4, in FCP 10.4 project, the clip is copied in original media folder. THIS clip do not lag at all… all others do, in the same folder.

All captured clips presents the same codec, same framerate, same spec, same data rate, etc, confirmed in FCP, QT player 7, QT player 10 and compressor.

It seems that clip files captured in FCP 10.4 ares fragmented on the hard drive.

Any one can confirm this problem?

Michel Boissonneault

HDV lag on skimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.