Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silence: Always vs While phone is locked ?

I am missing calls most of the times on my iPhone (5s). Although I ensured that the ''Do not disturb'' button was off, this still happen way to often and I've not been able to pinpoint the cause.

However, on the ''Do not disturb page'' I see something which I have a hard time to interpret and which seems to me a little contradicting:

SILENCE:

Always: if you select this option, it says: ''incoming calls and notifications will be silenced while iPhone is either locked or unlocked''

While iPhone is locked: ''Incoming calls and notifications will be silenced while iPhone is locked''

Seems that you need to have one of these 2 options ''ON'' and there is no way to put both ''off''... However, following that logic, it's like, if you choose first, you'll never hear you phone ringing... And if you chose the second, ''good luck'' if someone calls while your iPhone is unlocked (which likely will happen within the 30 seconds or the 5 minutes *it is* unlocked !!.... )

Am I missing something ?... I had several people read the same, and we all wonder how to read it...

Rob

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), i7, 16GB memory, SSD 1TB

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 6:15 PM

It does frequently cause confusion. It means if do not disturb is on (the top option on that screen), should incoming calls always be silenced or only when the iPhone is locked. If do not disturb is off, it doesn't matter which of those two is selected as neither apply.

Similar questions

2 replies

Silence: Always vs While phone is locked ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.