Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 1st Gen won't authorize content

Hi, I bought Raiders of the Lost Ark from the iTunes stores last night to watch with the family on my trusty AppleTV 1st gen. I couldn't connect to iTunes on my ATV (login failed even though the password was correct) so I downloaded the movie to my PC via ITunes to transfer to the ATV. I couldn’t get iTunes to see my ATV to transfer the movie then I found out through web searches that the latest iTunes doesn't see ATV1. So I used another PC with an older version of iTunes to re-sync content to the ATVs. This all appeared to work OK until I tried to play the movie and the ATV attempted to 'authorize' it, which failed and said this ATV is not authorized to play either the new movie or re-synced existing purchases. I assume this is all because it will not sign in to iTunes. So what’s happened is two devices that worked fine a few hours ago are now useless in terms of playing any DRM content. I read in this article that connection to iTunes store will cease from May 25th 2018.

Apple to suspend iTunes Store support for “obsolete” first-gen Apple TV | Ars Technica

So I have two questions please

- why can't I purchase from, or authorize from the iTunes store? (login fails with correct password both in single factor and two factor authentication, the latter appending the code to the password)

- is this issue specific to me and if so should I contact tech support?

thanks for any help

Ade

Apple TV, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 2:05 AM

the max supported hd the old 1g support is 720p(1080i) in 24fps (frame pr. seconds)

the 2g version support 720p(1080i) in 30fps

3g 1080p 30fps

and so forth

so apple need a special version of media to support 1g

even the latests versions of iTunes don't work with 1g

you can contact their support

Contact Apple Support

and use their feedback channel

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 2:05 AM in response to adrian198

the max supported hd the old 1g support is 720p(1080i) in 24fps (frame pr. seconds)

the 2g version support 720p(1080i) in 30fps

3g 1080p 30fps

and so forth

so apple need a special version of media to support 1g

even the latests versions of iTunes don't work with 1g

you can contact their support

Contact Apple Support

and use their feedback channel

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Mar 3, 2018 5:29 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks very much I understand that and I have worked around that with an older version of iTunes but what I can’t understand is why it won’t play content it used to as it won’t authorize it, and why I can’t sign in to iTunes. (I can on a gen 2). I understood this capability was not to be stood down until April. Thanks

Ade

Mar 3, 2018 6:51 AM in response to adrian198

maybe they removed the 720p 24fps content from their server and recognise that the model can't access any of the 720p 30fps content, all that being said this is a user helping users with tech questions so this is all speculations you can try to contact them with the links I provided, but I would not hold my breach I retired my 1g a long time ago because it began freezing which I suppose was because the internal fan died

Apr 1, 2018 7:26 AM in response to adrian198

Same issue, while I understand the purchase ability would cease to exist, I was not aware I would no longer be able to play purchased movies. Just to be clear, movies purchased on computer and transferred to Apple TV, will not play due to authorization error. I use this for offline watching at a remote vacation home. Am I correct that the Apple TV 1st Gen is now useless?

AppleTV 1st Gen won't authorize content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.