Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set "USB iPhone" on Mac

Hello Community!

I am using iPhone X (iOS 11.2.6) and iMac 27" i5 2.7 (Mid 2011), High Sierra 10.13.3.

When I connect iPhone (Lightning Cable) Mac pop-up this message (see pic.)

User uploaded file

When I click "Network Preferences.." they open, but there is no service

for "USB iPhone".

If I want to create new service I've got this choices (see pic.)

User uploaded file

Furthermore, iPhone X connects to iTunes app ( 12.7.3.46)

with no problem.

Is there some workaround?

Any help is welcome 🙂

Robert

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 3:06 AM

This network setting is meant to be used with your iPhone sharing its internet connection to your mac.

It is unrelated to using your iPhone with iTunes or other applications (like Photos, iMovie or FCP X).

To see the "iPhone USB" in Network Preferences, I believe you have to turn on "Personal Hotspot" on your iPhone. Once you set it up, it will remain, and you won't have to set it up again.

So: 1) turn on "Personal Hotspot"

2) connect your iPhone to your mac via usb

3) setup the network connection

and it should not bother you again. For safety, I prefer to keep "Personal Hotspot" off while not actively using it.

Of course, this feature of the iPhone is likely to be of more use with a laptop. If you are at home with an iMac that already has an internet connection, you don't want to spend your precious mobile data with it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 3:06 AM in response to Eramono

This network setting is meant to be used with your iPhone sharing its internet connection to your mac.

It is unrelated to using your iPhone with iTunes or other applications (like Photos, iMovie or FCP X).

To see the "iPhone USB" in Network Preferences, I believe you have to turn on "Personal Hotspot" on your iPhone. Once you set it up, it will remain, and you won't have to set it up again.

So: 1) turn on "Personal Hotspot"

2) connect your iPhone to your mac via usb

3) setup the network connection

and it should not bother you again. For safety, I prefer to keep "Personal Hotspot" off while not actively using it.

Of course, this feature of the iPhone is likely to be of more use with a laptop. If you are at home with an iMac that already has an internet connection, you don't want to spend your precious mobile data with it.

Can't set "USB iPhone" on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.