Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not able to paste to a sub-folder

Since recent updating I have not been able to paste pictures to a sub-folder. This is immensely annoying as to get the pictures into a sub-folder I have to do each one individually- hundreds for holiday snaps because I am not able to add photos via i-photo to my blog as the i-photo only gives me the whole i-photo file as an option. I think this set up is rubbish. How do I change this so that I can paste to sub-folders The same goes for documents too. Just discovered that I and not able to drag lines of text with this question.

iMac, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 3:40 AM

17 replies

Mar 4, 2018 7:30 PM in response to jerryfromhayes

For exporting photos see this article Export photos, videos, and slideshows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Read these also Where are the photos I imported into Photos on my Mac? - Apple Support

WARNING: To avoid accidentally deleting or corrupting a Photos library, do not alter the contents of a library in the Finder. If you want to copy, move, or transfer files, first export them from the Photos library; do not manually access or change the library in the Finder.

If you import items from a storage device or another folder on your Mac, you can have Photos leave the items in their original locations so they don’t take up extra space on your Mac. As long as the device or folder is accessible to Photos, you can view and work with these items in the Photos window just as you normally would. (Files that are stored in another location outside your Photos library are known as referenced files.)

Change where Photos stores your files on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 3, 2018 6:34 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney,

there is a problem in two areas.

1 When saving a document to Documents I am not able to place it in a sub-file. I get no option to put it into anything other than in documents. Once there I can move it into the correct sub-file.

2, when saving photos from iPhotos where I have to copy everything I want to use to Pictures, again no sub-file is permitted even though selected!!! The route through only takes me to pictures. Also since the update I am not able to select pictures and drag and drop.

I can do it with windows but not with this Mac now.

I am also not able to export pictures to anywhere but importing works.

Mar 4, 2018 9:35 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Hi Country Girl,

Then I don't know why my Mac will not do it. I am not able to get into any areas that will allow me to change anything.

Sorry to say not able to do screen shot as the problem is only visible when you carry out the action.Showing a file in Documents or Pictures that is not in its subfolder is not that useful.

Mac isn't smart enough to do it in real time as a movie.

Best wishes

Jerry

Mar 4, 2018 4:42 PM in response to jerryfromhayes

1. Do you mean that you can only select Documents from a popup menu, or some other folders, but not the subfolders of Documents? If so, click the triangle next to the File Name. That will give you a full interface in the Finder.

2. I'm not sure what you are saying. If you Copy a photo in iPhoto, then try to Paste it into a folder in the Finder. That won't work. You can export from iPhoto into a folder in Finder from the File menu, or you can just drag the photo into whatever you need to use it in.

Mar 10, 2018 7:27 AM in response to dialabrain

I see those when I open Finder - not when I choose 'Save As" and the 'Where' down arrow - but I see (after reading the one below) that the down arrow in the 'save as' will show those - so I can get to them that way - and then the 'Where' will show the Recents! Not intuitive to use the 'Save As' instead of the more intuitive 'Where' field.

not able to paste to a sub-folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.