Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Switching to Do Not Disturb Randomly

My iPhone 8 has started to switch to DND, randomly. Checked the settings, not scheduled, not switched etc.

Any ideas, please?

iMac, iOS 8.0.2, 27 inch with SATA HDD

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 1:05 AM

1 reply

Mar 4, 2018 12:10 PM in response to Minchroadster the 2nd

Hi Minchroadster the 2nd,

I understand that you're seeing Do Not Disturb enabled on your iPhone when you haven't enabled it and your settings indicate that it hasn't been scheduled either. I can see why you'd reach out for assistance with this, I'm happy to help. First, if you haven't already, I'd recommend restarting your iPhone. Next, check that you have a recent backup and update your iOS software, if necessary: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you're up-to-date or the issue persists after updating I'd recommend using the steps below to reinstall the iOS software to your iPhone. This process will replace the software currently installed with a fresh copy. We always suggest creating a current backup first: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Be sure to closely follow step four to prevent data loss.
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Test for the behavior after this process is complete and let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

iPhone 8 Switching to Do Not Disturb Randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.