Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download icon appears next to songs in iTunes, but files already downloaded

I have my iTunes library stored on a NAS drive and am using the iTunes app on an iMac.

Most of my songs in iTunes have the download icon next to them, but they are already downloaded on the NAS drive.

If I click to download, then a second version of the file is downloaded to the same location (with 1 added to the file name).

Is there a way to tell iTunes that the files are all already there? I don't really want to have to download them all again.

Thanks

deb

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 4:38 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 3, 2018 6:55 AM in response to DebH

The process is simple. Rename a file, copy another file, rename that. Job done. It only becomes slightly more complex if the last backup of the database is out of date in which case bringing it up to date isn't that hard, and less effort than what you're planning. If you're running on a Mac and you have Time Machine copying your iTunes Library.itl file you should be able to restore a version of it from just before things in your library went cloudy and not have to do any maintenance at all.

tt2

Mar 3, 2018 7:34 AM in response to DebH

OK. Ideally you should backup the state of your iTunes library folder (I assume this on your Mac) and the iTunes Media folder on the NAS before you do anything else. iTunes may not always play nicely with NAS and recovery can be difficult or impossible if anything goes wrong.

To make your library reflect the contents of your media folder first sign out of your Apple ID. Then use File > Add Folder to Library to add the contents of the media folder into the library. Anything that iTunes already knows about will be ignored, everything else should be added, and, if you have the Keep organized option enabled, may be moved to reflect tag details as required. Finally sign back into your Apple ID. Download anything that remains in the cloud. If all is well update your backup.

tt2

Download icon appears next to songs in iTunes, but files already downloaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.