Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Photo Post-Edit Size Downgrade

Illustration of the problem:

I import into Aperture a 7.2 MB photo from my SD card and it's recorded in Aperture almost at the same size, 6.9 MB. Then I reduce photo exposure slightly. Aperture continues to report the photo "Info" at its 6.9 MB original size but "Get Info" sees it as 4.1 MB, same as Finder, and Toast 14 Titanium. What this suggests to me is that in the background, Aperture is holding onto the original photo info and reports it as such, but in the meantime, it has somehow seriously downgraded photo size, and every other application can see that the size is only 4.1 MB.

This size downgrade is disturbing because I am trying to burn a disc of edited photos on Toast and I want to do so at original size, not a watered down version. Can someone please explain this phenomenon to me and tell me how it can be fixed.

iMac, iOS 10.1.1, Aperture V 3.6

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 11:20 AM

(Incidentally, can one edit one's original post, rather than create this kind of addendum?)

You have fifteen minutes after posting a question or a reply to edit it. For your original question the option is in the drop-down menu to the right of the question.

User uploaded file

and every other application can see that the size is only 4.1 MB.

Other applications are seeing the previews of your edited photos.

You set the preview size in the Aperture Preferences > Previews. Set the Preview size to "Don't Limit", if you want the best quality.

You can always export high quality edited versions of your photos, if you use a preset for high quality, when exporting.

In the "File > Export > Versions" dialog, click the "Export Preset" menu and select a high quality preset or "Edit" to specify a custom quality.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Spectral45

(Incidentally, can one edit one's original post, rather than create this kind of addendum?)

You have fifteen minutes after posting a question or a reply to edit it. For your original question the option is in the drop-down menu to the right of the question.

User uploaded file

and every other application can see that the size is only 4.1 MB.

Other applications are seeing the previews of your edited photos.

You set the preview size in the Aperture Preferences > Previews. Set the Preview size to "Don't Limit", if you want the best quality.

You can always export high quality edited versions of your photos, if you use a preset for high quality, when exporting.

In the "File > Export > Versions" dialog, click the "Export Preset" menu and select a high quality preset or "Edit" to specify a custom quality.

Mar 5, 2018 5:00 PM in response to léonie

Thanks, Leonie! Your guidance led me into the right direction. I needed to understand what was happening and how to fix it. Playing around with the quality variables as you advised, and with some additional research to understand the relationship between the Original photo and its Versions, I can now control my photo size for exporting.

Best wishes to you!

Aperture Photo Post-Edit Size Downgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.