Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X and 360 projects issues (missing plugin)

tl;dr been working with 360 Fusion files on one iMac, having no issues. On a new iMac, with same software installed, and updated to the latest version, with existing and brand new projects, it doesn't recognize most of the 360 files.

I've been working with GoPro Fusion 360 files in FCP for the last three months. It's been working great, but my old iMac was definitely slow. I upgraded to a iMac Pro with the 64 Vega graphics card based on the success of these 360 videos. All my FCP projects are on an external drive. I installed FCP and patched it to the latest version on the new iMac Pro, but the old projects are giving me a "Missing plugin" error. I did some research, figured it could be a number of things, so I created a new project and tried to import the Fusion 360 rendered files but FCP does not recognize them, and won't import them into a new project (they're greyed out). This is true for everything, but for one random 10 minute clip for a few months ago that works just fine.

One other thing I've noticed. My working copy of FCPX has the "Add 360 Patch" under edit, but the new one does not (it does have the 360 patch under effects etc..). Oh yes, and I've re-installed the app after a full delete, and I've even reformatted and re-installed the OS..... it's been a bit of a night.

Thoughts?

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 6:49 AM

Similar questions

26 replies

Mar 3, 2018 7:37 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am on 10.4, yes. I do have the plugin. I've been using an external drive for all my FCP work, and so literally the same files that are working on one computer are not on another. I've checked the rights on the drive, I've also copied the files locally to the computer they don't work on, and that hasn't made a difference. Here's specifically the error when I try to import a rendered GoPro Fusion file:

User uploaded file

The "missing plugin" is from a project successfully imported on another iMac.

Here's the versioning info:

User uploaded file

I can't see the media in the browser (that was imported by the working iMac):

User uploaded file

If I plug this same drive into the other iMac (which I've done a few times now), FCP can see everything, and I can import new rendered files without issue. I did go from an iMac i7, to an iMac Pro... is there's a possibility there's a bug in FCP with the new hardware? I feel like I read somewhere that FCP was specifically optimized for the iMac Pro. It's probably user error, I fully realize that, but I'm running out of ideas...

Mar 3, 2018 7:49 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Really appreciate you taking the time Tom. I will say, the one difference between the two builds (despite them both being 10.4) is the new build is missing the "Add 360 Patch" under edit:

User uploaded file

I don't know if your build has it, but even on my working iMac when I'm in a project with no 360 content, it will still have that option but greyed out. So it seems like there is something different. But I do have the other 360 content (viewer etc..) and like I said, the App Store things I'm fully updated and it looks as though I am (though if there's a way to compare specific builds of an app other than just the version in About, let's have a look at that)

Mar 3, 2018 11:44 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

This is way beyond my knowledge unfortunately, but here's an example of it working. I mentioned earlier on in this thread that there was one clip that works within the new iMac (where as all of them work on the old one). Both clips seem to be identical. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I'm happy to have a solution moving forward, but I'm still working on some past clips and projects, that I'd love to finish up on the new iMac.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2018 7:09 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I've been working with GoPro Fusion files for the past 3 months, and both FCP are at the same version (if there's a way to check the exact build number, I'd love to do that, but not sure how to. Either way, neither version has any updates waiting for it in the App Store). The files are stitched using GoPro Fusion Studio. Same stitched files, on one iMac they work, on the other they're not working.

Mar 3, 2018 8:04 AM in response to mpb9929

There has only been one released build of 10.4. An Add 360 Patch that appeared in that menu must be a plugin, probably one of the Tim Dashwood's 360 plugins. That function has never appeared there in the standard application.

What plugin do you have that's installed on the 10.4 machine that doesn't work? Are you seeing an effect applied to the clip in the inspector?

It sounds like there's more than one problem here as you have clips in the browser that have a missing plugin and clips that you can't import. I'm not clear on how the clips got in the browser if you can't import them.

Can you post one off the stitched files somewhere, like to WeTransfer or using Dropbox?

Mar 3, 2018 9:24 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Here's a short Fusion rendered file that imports just fine in my old computer, but does not import in on my new one:

https://we.tl/LhNzAYSn3F

The "Add 360 Patch" button seems to just add the FCPX patch to the clip. I did not install any plugins. I know people sometimes say this and they forgot that they installed something or another, and that statement doesn't generally come with a lot of credibility... but I'm a fairly focused FCPX user, and my only goal was to edit GoPro Fusion files. I didn't even know there were a bunch of neat patches I could add until I googled this.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. The FCPX files imported on the other iMac are giving errors, and new files aren't importing. Let's just focus on getting files imported at this point. I didn't realize I couldn't import new files. That's concerning. Let me know what you get with the link about I guess?

Mar 3, 2018 11:13 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

That's a huge help. I didn't do anything FCPX wise on the other (working) Mac, but I probably have plenty of codecs from various software installed... so sounds like I just need to figure out how to play this codec on FCPX. I can stitch future products in a different codec, but stitching is such a time consuming process I couldn't possibly do it for the many-hours of videos I have... This is, unfortunately, way beyond my knowledge though! I'll see what I can find

Mar 4, 2018 11:40 AM in response to mpb9929

I've format my computer and re-install everything,
on my macbook pro (15inch, 2017) / 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 Go 2133 MHz LPDDR3 :

GoPro Fusion render's files can be played with VLC if I use the old version (2.2.8 + plugin cineform).

Works fine on Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Doesn't work with the last version of VLC (3.0.1) and Final Cut Pro X (10.4)

I think Final Cut and VLC are not ready yet for the GoPro Fusion.

Final Cut Pro X and 360 projects issues (missing plugin)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.