Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Drive doesn’t Appear in Finder — Even though it is mounted

Until yesterday, I used an external drive for a Time Machine backup for my 2012 Mac Pro. It was in an enclosure (USB) that had 4 different drives for data and backup (not a RAID). A few weeks ago, the drive disappeared from the “side-bar” in the finder window — as if it were no longer mounted. The three other drives remained visible. However, the “invisible” drive remained mounted and continued function normally as a Time Machine drive. It was visible — and mounted — in Disk Utility, Time Machine, etc.

Yesterday, I transferred all my data to a new iMac Pro and moved the 4 drives to a new Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. I assumed these changes would likely make the problem disk re-appear in the sidebar, but it still doesn’t show. It mounts properly and is useable — like before. The only issue is it doesn’t show up in the Finder side bar. It is really only a problem if I disconnect the enclosure before ejecting the disk using the unmount function in Disk Utility.

Does anybody have thoughts on why this is happening and/or a way to force the disk to appear in the finder?

Thanks David

iMac Pro (2017), iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 7:46 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 3, 2018 8:24 AM in response to CountryGirl56

No, but I have two identical drives that I use for TM backup (labeled HGST in Disk Utility - Seagate, I think). One is visible in the Finder and the other is not. Both were purchased at the same time and have been in use for about 18 months. The problem disk was visible until a few weeks ago. Otherwise, I have one Hitachi drive and one western Digital drive.

External Drive doesn’t Appear in Finder — Even though it is mounted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.