Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running El Capitan on an external drive?

Is is possible to install and run El Capitan on an external drive, while running and keeping my old Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and still run Snow Leopard on my 7 year old MacBook Pro, or doesn't it work like that and both have to have same OS running? I just want to keep the existing OS on the laptop that I know and use, where so much isn't compatible with later OS, but want to check it out anyway, hence can it be done and can I use El Capitan alongside it on the external? Thanks for any help

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 9:15 AM

You can but you won't want to do it long-term. Unless you can run it over Firewire (I'm not sure if your computer has that, but maybe) it will be slow over USB2. I run Mavericks on an external drive over USB2 (have to on my computer) and it takes 3-4 minutes to boot.

Be careful which files you open when running ElCapitan. For example, if you're running an older iTunes version and you open you library with a newer version on El Capitan it will irreversibly update your library file so it can no longer be opened with the older version.

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 9:15 AM in response to the tall

You can but you won't want to do it long-term. Unless you can run it over Firewire (I'm not sure if your computer has that, but maybe) it will be slow over USB2. I run Mavericks on an external drive over USB2 (have to on my computer) and it takes 3-4 minutes to boot.

Be careful which files you open when running ElCapitan. For example, if you're running an older iTunes version and you open you library with a newer version on El Capitan it will irreversibly update your library file so it can no longer be opened with the older version.

Mar 3, 2018 9:18 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks, do you mean the old iTunes that can't be updated on my Snow Leopard MBP will be affected if I use the iTunes on the external drive? That's partly what I need it for as the old iTunes won't back up iPhone anymore on older iTunes as you know, it won't let me update iTunes on that OS. When booting from external I thought it was a separate programme and wouldn't interfere with the other one which isn't actually open? I'm not getting this like I thought I may do. I obviously am messing with stuff I don't understand by the sounds of it.

Mar 3, 2018 5:30 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Yes, that's what I understood, so if they're both separate entities, in what situation would this occur, this is what I don't get?

'....Be careful which files you open when running ElCapitan. For example, if you're running an older iTunes version and you open you library with a newer version on El Capitan it will irreversibly update your library file so it can no longer be opened with the older version.'

Mar 4, 2018 5:43 AM in response to Niel

Thanks for your reply but I don't actually understand any of that. I understood that the only reason to press option key was to choose which OS on start up, and then I'm in that one, so there is iTunes in the El Capitan on the external, and iTunes on the Snow Leopard on the machine if I open that OS? And they're separate entities? That's what I thought anyway, but now I'm just totally confused. Why would I have to launch iTunes with the option key if I'm in or other of the OS, internal or external, if you know what I mean? Doesn't it just launch when I open it according to whatever OS I'm in. I can't be in both at the same time, if I boot each one separately?

Mar 4, 2018 9:00 AM in response to Niel

Thanks for your reply but I have no clue what you're talking about.

I wanted two operating systems, and two separate Macs so to speak running different OS and thought that was it, and I'm now beyond confused as to anything you've said, I have no clue what you mean. They're either different separate OS running their own separate iTunes, or they're the same. I give up. I don't think I've ever been this confused about something I thought would be relatively simple. Don't think I'll bother now

Mar 4, 2018 5:24 PM in response to Eric Root

I actually wanted the external El Capitan for the later version of iTunes. So I can't start a new separate from the internal iTunes, new version of iTunes on the external. Just don't get why it would conflict with each other. That's what I don't understand. If you can't have a separate version on the separate external OS, then it's not going to help me. I get what you're both saying, it will interfere with the old internal iTunes, but I can't get why, if the external is supposedly a new and separate from the internal. Do you get what I'm not grasping here? Why is is sharing anything with the old OS?

Mar 4, 2018 5:56 PM in response to the tall

As long as you open iTunes and use the Library that is on the partition you are booted into, you will be fine. It will not interfere with the iTunes on the other partition unless you make the choice and take steps to open the other partition's iTunes Library. Your 2 drives will be separate unless you take action to attempt to merge them.

Running El Capitan on an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.