Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari removes only bad cookies!

Apple iMac running 10.13.3

When I went to Safari prefs and got into manage website data, an enormous number of cookie sites were listed, many starting with the letters 'ad'. Just to see what would happen, I clicked on remove all, and I was surprised to see that there were lots of cookies remaining after that operation. The were all from sites that I visit, recognize, and consider benign. All the ones I would normally want to delete were deleted!

Is this explained anywhere in Apple Support?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 27" iMac 24 GB memory

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 9:32 AM

See this article Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

You can also click on History on top menu bar > click on clear history a pop up appears .Choose clear all history from drop down arrows and click on clear history , this will delete all past browsed history and cookies , but if you want history to be saved only cookies are to be deleted then you have to hold option key then follow the same process .And some users enter in user library click on safari > find folders local storage and database and delete the contents of it in the trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , but this is not a permanent solution once again you browse the caches , cookies will get developed in a normal browsing mode , to avoid saving the web site data some users use private browsing mode in which cookies are never saved .And to view a website cookies are essential .

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 9:32 AM in response to bobgoldstein

See this article Manage cookies and website data in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

You can also click on History on top menu bar > click on clear history a pop up appears .Choose clear all history from drop down arrows and click on clear history , this will delete all past browsed history and cookies , but if you want history to be saved only cookies are to be deleted then you have to hold option key then follow the same process .And some users enter in user library click on safari > find folders local storage and database and delete the contents of it in the trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , but this is not a permanent solution once again you browse the caches , cookies will get developed in a normal browsing mode , to avoid saving the web site data some users use private browsing mode in which cookies are never saved .And to view a website cookies are essential .

User uploaded file

Mar 3, 2018 10:50 AM in response to bobgoldstein

Read this article Safari for Mac: Databases stored on your computer using Safari

You can clear all history and web site data , this will remove each of it , if you enter ~/Library/Safari and delete entire contents of safari into the trash all folders of that will be deleted , when Mac is restarted and the trash is emptied all folders like database and local storage and other folders will be recreated .

As you never deleted or avoided deleting the history and website data from months this will happen , see this article Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If 68 cookies are still stored remove them once more .

But as I told you this is a temporarily solution in normal browsing , you browse the sites they are ought to be saved , only prevention is delete them on daily basis ( as it is optional ) or switch to private browsing Browse in private in Safari on Mac - Apple Support and some like to save data for references , and like to view previous links in history or whatever .

Mar 3, 2018 9:22 AM in response to bobgoldstein

No, that's not a feature. It may be because when you choose to delete cookies when you click "Remove All" it will take some time to delete all of them. The window will repopulate before it's finished removing everything, so let it take a moment or two to finish.

Also, cookies and website data will be re-populated from other sources like Top Sites, Quick Website Searches, Search Engine Suggestions, Top Hits and others.

Mar 3, 2018 9:39 AM in response to bobgoldstein

You can experiment what Mac jack suggested is to be followed as there is lot of website data stored and it clicking on removing all website data from safari preferences could take some time to delete all of it .

Saving lot of website data is to be avoided , some users like to save it , but it should be cleared frequently.

Mar 3, 2018 10:17 AM in response to bobgoldstein

From the OP: I looked more carefully at those sites listed in the pref panel for web content, and they all said 'databases' below the name. It would appear that web-stored databases are not removed by Remove All. For me, that's OK, because almost every web site that was left was one of the ones I recognize as places I visit often. However, there were a few that I don't recognize and I am wondering why all of them remained after Remove All.

Safari removes only bad cookies!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.