Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot my admin name and password and I cannot reset it

I reset my MacBook pro's admin name and password and now the new and old one is not working. I can't update any applications without this password and I don't know how to fix this.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 3:57 PM

There’s a hidden password reset utility in macOS Recovery that will allow you to change the password of any user. Given that FileVault is disabled, no authentication is required to use this utility.

Restart your Mac while holding Command-R. Release when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear. When the Utilities menu appears, go to the very top of the screen and click on Utilities, then choose Terminal. Execute this command:

resetpassword

The Password Reset Assistant should appear. If all goes well, you should be able to select your user account and change your password.

Hope this helps!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 3:57 PM in response to Victoria.is.me

There’s a hidden password reset utility in macOS Recovery that will allow you to change the password of any user. Given that FileVault is disabled, no authentication is required to use this utility.

Restart your Mac while holding Command-R. Release when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear. When the Utilities menu appears, go to the very top of the screen and click on Utilities, then choose Terminal. Execute this command:

resetpassword

The Password Reset Assistant should appear. If all goes well, you should be able to select your user account and change your password.

Hope this helps!

I forgot my admin name and password and I cannot reset it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.