Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac stuck on start screen

My MacBook Pro can’t get past the start screen. It starts with where I select either my name or “guest user”. I select my name, enter computer password, it goes through the loading bar, then gives me the notice “MacOS could not be installed on your computer. The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall. Mpkg appears to be missing or damaged. Quit the Installer to restart your computer and try again”. And then below that it has a restart button.

If I click restart I go back to the first screen. I’ve done this multiple times and just keep going in circles. What do I do?

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 4:13 PM

Hi lane288,

The macOS installaler can be repaired and restarted by using the Reinstall macOS option in Recovery Mode. Restart your Mac while holding Command-R. When the Utilities menu appears, choose Reinstall macOS and select Macintosh HD as the target volume. (Don’t worry, you won’t lose any data) When your Mac restarts, unlock FileVault by logging in, then let the repaired installer reinstall macOS onto your Mac. If all goes well, your Mac should end up at the login screen and permit you to use it as normal.

Hope this helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 4:13 PM in response to lane288

Hi lane288,

The macOS installaler can be repaired and restarted by using the Reinstall macOS option in Recovery Mode. Restart your Mac while holding Command-R. When the Utilities menu appears, choose Reinstall macOS and select Macintosh HD as the target volume. (Don’t worry, you won’t lose any data) When your Mac restarts, unlock FileVault by logging in, then let the repaired installer reinstall macOS onto your Mac. If all goes well, your Mac should end up at the login screen and permit you to use it as normal.

Hope this helps!

Mar 4, 2018 1:20 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Thank you so much for your help. The first step worked, i restarted while holding Command-R. I’m at the Mac OS Utility screen and select Reinstall macOS. It then says to set up the installation of macOS High Sierra, click continue. So I click Continue and I get a notification that says The Recovery Server Could Not be Contacted. Now I’m stuck here.

Mac stuck on start screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.