Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Most of the "share a playlist" information online even here is out of day and no longer operational. Why is this not corrected?

I am trying to share a playlist with a friend. Online I found all sorts of imformation about sharing a playlist that would prompt the recipient to download from iTunes any songs that they did not already own. This is listed as current information. But elsewhere I read that this particular feature was discontinued years ago. Why does Apple never correct outdated help info or at least say that it was discontinued with version X.X or in the year XXXX ?

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 8:48 AM

8 replies

Mar 4, 2018 7:19 AM in response to blesscurse

blesscurse wrote:

I am talking about sharing an iTunes playlist. I am not an Apple Music user. When I follow the instruction and click on the “...” share a playlist is NOT an option. Thus the posted infirmation is incorrectcas I have stated.

Bless,

Apple's sharing instructions in that link apply to Apple Music subscribers. If you don't subscribe to Apple Music, your iTunes tracks are just files on your own computer, and Apple -- unsurprisingly -- does not offer a way to help you share them with others.

Your observation that the instructions do not make clear that they apply to Apple Music customers only is quite justifiable. If you wish to give feedback to Apple, please use the feedback link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Mar 4, 2018 8:11 AM in response to blesscurse

blesscurse wrote:

There used to be a way to “gift” playlists. There used to be a provision (pre Apple Music) in which one could share an iTunes playlist and the recipient would be prompted to download from iTunes the music that they did not already own. All of this seems to be extant even though outdated.

Bless,

If by "extant" you mean that some non-Apple website has outdated instructions, then you are correct.

Here is the correct information, as posted on this Forum:

In older versions of iTunes, it was possible to gift a whole playlist in one operation. This capability was removed several years ago. (The instructions are still out there on the web, e.g. this from 2011, but they no longer work.) Now, gifts can be a single song or an album.

Mar 4, 2018 7:40 AM in response to ed2345

There used to be a way to “gift” playlists. There used to be a provision (pre Apple Music) in which one could share an iTunes playlist and the recipient would be prompted to download from iTunes the music that they did not already own. All of this seems to be extant even though outdated. I only know this because of the difficulty in researching and obtaining accurate up to date information about sharing a playlist. Now one can export the playlist in various formats and email it, but it does not make it a day to then acquire the material not already owned. It is similar to Apple’s hackneyed approach to nomenclature. When one asks, what computer do you have or what co outer do I have, it is usually sone complicated description that includes features, processor speed and date of issue. Other companies give products new names or at least append numbers or letters as part of the advertised model name so that it is clear what is what at a glance.

Most of the "share a playlist" information online even here is out of day and no longer operational. Why is this not corrected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.