Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

I got an external hard drive (My Book) for my iMac. Started up Time Machine and it did its backup. The next day I purposely deleted two files. Went into Time Machine and looked at previous day back-up. Could not find the files. Why? There are plenty of other files.

iMac

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 9:38 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 3, 2018 11:31 AM in response to CHMARTI

Time machine's backups are stored in a torturous form that is very difficult to understand when viewed from Finder.

The 'approved method' for viewing Time Machine backups is with Time Machine.app:

User uploaded file

The late James Pond wrote an amazing set of interrelated illustrated articles for all things Time Machine. This is his article on viewing backups:

.Pondini's Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions -- 15A. How do I use the (not so intuitive) Time Machine display?

His articles were written just as Time Machine was undergoing its last major changes. You may see references to older versions of MacOS, but almost nothing about Time Machine has changed since he published his articles.

Mar 3, 2018 2:38 PM in response to CHMARTI

Any files that were still present on your Mac at the date&time shown for that backup SHOULD still be showing in Time Machine.app window as of that date&time.

Anything deleted before the date&time shown in the window will only exist in windows with an older date&time, before the deletion.

Eventually, as your backup disk approaches full, the older backup sets will be deleted, and those files will no longer be in any backup set. (Time Machine is not an ARCHIVE Uitility, it is a fancy backup application.)

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.