Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple replace ApplecarePlus mbp2015 battery for free if it reaches 1000 cycles?

Hello guys, my friend is trying to sell me his macbook pro early 2015, it has Applecare Plus until October 2018 and battery cycle of 921. So, does Apple replace its battery for free if I bring it to store once it reaches 1000 cycles?

Any responses are appreciated! Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 10:29 AM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2018 11:35 AM in response to Kappy

I agree with Kappy--have your friend investigate getting the battery replaced under AppleCare to avoid any ownership/coverage issues.

I hope that works or your friend adjusts the selling price based on the need for a new battery, because the battery for a 15-inch Retina model is not US$129; it's a very painful $199. See US battery pricing in this Apple support document:

Mac Service Answer Center - Apple Support

Mar 3, 2018 11:55 AM in response to Dreammaker-

Reaching 1000 cycles doesn't automatically trigger a free battery replacement. In fact going over it likely means they won't replace it under warranty/AppleCare because that's the nominal rating where they expect that it's going to be depleted to 80%. Typical warranty/AppleCare-provided battery replacement will be if it's under 80% battery health **and** under 1000 cycles, because that's when such depletion is expected to be atypical (i.e. "defective") if it can't achieve the nominal performance specified.

About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

Battery warranty information

Your Apple One Year Limited Warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. If you purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for your Mac notebook, Apple will replace the notebook battery at no charge if it retains less than 80 percent of its original capacity. If you don't have coverage, you can have the battery replaced for a fee.

Think of it like an automotive tire warranty. Those will usually specify something like "50,000 miles" and possibly discounted pro-rated replacement fees. If you hit over that 50,000 miles (akin to those 1000 cycles) the mileage warranty is no longer in force. Once you hit 1000 cycles, that means their obligation is over because depletion to 80% isn't considered it being "defective" any more.

I'd check to see what the battery health is. If it's already under 80%, then Apple will replace the battery under AppleCare, and that can be done before you receive it.

Mar 3, 2018 10:41 AM in response to Dreammaker-

Be sure you get a receipt from your friend with Paid and the serial number on it along with his/her signature. You will need that to prove you are now the legal owner. Replacing the battery if it has not abnormally failed is not a freebie. You will be charged for the replacement cost of a new battery - around $129, I think. It would make more sense if you asked your friend to have the battery replaced first, then you can check the machine fully before buying it. Or, ask that he reduce the price by the cost of replacing the battery.

Does Apple replace ApplecarePlus mbp2015 battery for free if it reaches 1000 cycles?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.