Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI input/output with camcorder

So I've gone out and got a couple cables to patch up the holes in my setup here, but my goal is to try and transfer the cassette camcorder videos from my Sony Handycam DCR-TRV720 to my iMac and capture it using Adobe Premiere Pro 2018. Right now I'm running:

Camcorder > S-Video > S-Video to HDMI converter > Thunderbolt > iMac

Camcorder > audio cable > The same HDMI converter > Thunderbolt > iMac

All this seems to do, however, is project my iMac screen onto the screen of the camcorder, and I'm not sure how to reverse it. Adobe Premiere doesn't recognize any devices and I'm fairly new to this as well. If anybody could help me out I would really appreciate it

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 10:36 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 3, 2018 6:17 PM in response to PitaBomb

Good Heavens ! So fancy!! Back when I first did this kinda thing..( capturing video and all that) it was FireWire and iMovie..had a bit o’ trouble, it being my first time and all... but once I figured out

Stuff, read up on it...including what worked with what..not 100% guaranteed that A works with B( am I dating myself or what??) anyways back to your question,PitaBomb..Adobe Premiere only accepts digital sources for video/audio capture...is FireWire digital? USB? Probably...so....s-video is out, as is composite ( yellow plug) or component( like that matters) ...it’s all analog..so, what to do?? See if the camcorder has a digital output, use that, but if not...then you’d have to find some kind of combiner/converter that takes the analog signals.. and converts them to digital, which is then plugged into your Mac. Never having used Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro, I cant say for sure with any certainty that A.P.P. Will recognize the signal, or that there’s anything there to capture from...in a pinch...not saying how good it is..you can use QuickTime Player to capture audio and video,but you have to find a way to get it into your Mac, in a format it’ll recognize( I haven’t ever seen a Mac with built in analog video and video inputs...) I used something from Elgato for that...I’ve heard you can buy just the video capture cable, then find a Mac driver for cheap. Of course, I connected it via USB—no thunderbolt here. There may be such devices on the market that offer you a thunderbolt output, but I have no real experience with ‘em, so have nothing more to share with you now...

Good Luck

John B

Mar 3, 2018 8:55 PM in response to PitaBomb

So I was reading up more on your problem,PitaBomb. Your camcorder does have USB and FireWire output (Sony calls it iLink) so maybe use that, then a 4-to-6 pin FireWire cable, then a firewire to thunderBolt adapter. Adobe preemiere accepts inputs from either FireWire or USB-you can also captures with control codes and without-find more on Adobe’s Premere Pro help page. In a pinch, dunno how good it isQuickTime can capture video and audio -save as a qt movie afterwards👨👧👧.

Good luck

John

HDMI input/output with camcorder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.