Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Mac Mini Processor

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini with a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. I’m assuming it’s the original processor. Is it possible to upgrade this processor to something faster?

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 11:10 AM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2018 2:10 PM in response to churnside9

What are you running that requires a faster processor than the 2.5 GHz i5...?

Sure you could buy an i7 logic board to put into it, but it would be more cost effective to just sell the i5 and buy an i7.

Not sure what your what your other spec's are...? But IMHO the best performance upgrades that you can do to a 2012 Mac Mini are, swapping out the HDD to an SSD and installing 16GB of RAM.

Mar 3, 2018 6:58 PM in response to den.thed

Just trying to play some Fortnite on it, I upgraded from 4GB to 16GB of Ram before your answer and still don’t see any change on the game performance.

My Mac as it is right now meets and exceeds the minimum requirements to play Fortnite on my Mac.

So currently have 500gb Hardrive with 470gb still available and 16gb of ram. if i have already eliminated the ram issue and saw no changes do you think a SSD would make a difference?

2012 Mac Mini Processor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.