Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 and projector problems

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you for some help with an issue I experienced today. I searched many topics about problems with MacBook and connection with projector but I didn't find a case like mine or any answer that could help me.

I am a teacher and I bought my MacBook Pro for didactic use. Today was the first time I used it for the presentation. After connecting the VGA projector (using an adapter from ADATA company), on the projected screen I saw only my wallpaper and the menu stripe on the top. When I opened the Keynote presentation and pressed "play the slideshow" button, everything worked great (the presentation appeared on the white board).

The problem is that I wanted to show my students a video on YouTube, but it was impossible to show in on a projected display - the only thing visible was a wallpaper. In the same time the color of the menu stripe on my laptop changed to green. Some people said in another topic that checking the option "screen mirroring" could solve the problem, but I don't have this option in the Display settings (I know it was available in the previous versions of MacOS).

Another observation was that after opening the Display settings on the MacBook - in my settings viewed on MacBook I saw only one display available, nothing has changed. But I realized that I saw the settings also on the projected screen, but it was a different window with settings of the Projected Display (the monitor icon was different, like a TV)! I couldn't do anything with that window, because the arrow didn't appear on the projected screen and gestured didn't work properly.

Please, if you could help me with that issue I would really appreciate that, I tried to deal with this issue for 30 minutes in front of my students and it was really embarrassing and not professional...

I'm looking forward for some tips!

Greetings,

Lukasz

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 2017

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 12:14 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 3, 2018 1:40 PM in response to Lukasz.Sz

PowerPoint and similar software suspect there is a second display, and may seek it out and use it differently by design. Their use of the second display does not generalize to other Applications.

The default setup for a second display is Extended Desktop. In this arrangement, the displays are concatenated along an edge. Once you arrange the icons in the Arrange pane in a way that make sense to you, then the mouse moves freely across the line between the displays, and appears on the second display. It can also drag window with it.

User uploaded file

The screen icons on the screen above are moveable, and their size is proportional to the number of pixels in each.

Place them in an arrangement that makes sense to you, (perhaps the projector should be ABOVE the built-in display, to represent the front of the room).

If you drag a window part way across the boundary, the two halves of the window will scroll "the right way" with each half properly updated. Every well-behaved Mac Application can use this setup, except when they deliberately defeat it, such as iMovie, which opens exactly one window by design.

Use multiple displays with your Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Pro 2017 and projector problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.