Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iListen

I have macspeech iListen version 1.6.8. Can I use my iSight camera/microphone for iListen. It doesn't seem to work right now. Or do I have to use a USB microphone inorder to dictate into iListen.

Power Mac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2007 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2007 2:15 PM

Mac Speech has recommendations for microphones suitable for its software. I suggest you consult their site for information.
6 replies

Feb 22, 2007 9:20 AM in response to Housedoctor

I have a separate question about iListen. We work with a number of very elderly people who either don't want to bother with computers or are afraid of them. We want to compile an oral history and do lengthy interviews with many of them. Does anyone have enough experience with iListen or another program to know if we can EASILY adapt it to 60-70 different voices for dictation? Any suggestions where I can get good, common sense advice on this? We don't have a big budget and would rely on volunteers to help conduct the interviews so whatever we do has to be simple to use and pretty mistake-proof. We use Macs for our other work so we need (and want) to stick with Mac compatible software. Thank you.

Feb 22, 2007 9:41 AM in response to gentleone

You need to post your own new topic. If you don't know how click on the Help & Terms of Use link in the right sidebar of this page.

You've posted your question in another person's topic that's almost a month old. You're fortunate someone is still subscribed to it or your post would have gone completely unnoticed.

Although iListen can be trained to work with any speaker it takes upwards of 3-6 hours just to train iListen for a new speaker. Depending upon other factors it could take even longer. Furthermore, if you plan to use the application on more than one computer you will need to purchase multiple licenses or a site license depending upon the number of computers involved. iListen can only be used by one speaker at a time. If you expect to have someone asking questions as well as someone answering and need a transcript of both, then voice recognition software isn't up to that yet. If you plan to put a computer in front of a speaker and use iListen, then the user will need to use an approved microphone on a headset and will still need to learn how to use the program to handle error corrections or enter text into the transcript.

Frankly, you'd probably do better with a small tape recorder and a transcription service.

Feb 22, 2007 9:49 AM in response to Kappy

Wow, Kappy. Thank you. I'd like to give you credit for answering my question, but if I say you answered it, does that mess up the person who asked the original iListen question? Should I repost my question as a separate topic, as you suggested, and give you the opportunity to answer it there for credit? Thank you again.

iListen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.