Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought an old (2011 MC815LL/A) mac mini and I've never owned a mac. I have some questions...

Hello everyone, thank you for stopping by to help me out! Before I get ahead of myself let me explain the situation and the technical specs of the mac mini I bought. For starters, I bought a refurbished Mac mini because a friend of mine wants an iOs app to go with his web app. I've never owned a mac before, but I did work on one for a year using Xcode and Objective-C. I know that there have been a lot of changes to iOs app development in the four or so years since then. But because of this and because I don't own a mac, I wanted to pick up a cheap one. What I bought was:

Basic specs for my 2011 MC815LL/A:

Manufacturer: APPLE

Brand/Model: MAC MINI (M11)

Processor: CORE I5 2.3GHZ

Memory: 16GB-RAM

Hard Drive: 500GB-HDD

Optical Drive:

Form Factor: ULTRA SMALL

I specifically wanted the 16GB of RAM because I know eight would be right around the limit and for an older pc I figured I'd want the extra memory for debugging and simulating iOs devices. I know that my mini can be upgraded to High Sierra, and hopefully that all goes smoothly, but what are your thoughts on running xCode and developing on this particular mini? I'm expecting it to be slower than my PC workstation, maybe about as powerful as a 2012 Acer laptop I run Debian on. But do you think I may run into issues trying to develop on this? Or I should say, any problems developing for iOs on this machine? Because no matter what I can always set it up as a small server for side projects of mine.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), ios development

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 12:35 PM

I own a 2011 Mini, (granted its the i7 server version), but it runs pretty smoothly, and quick with just 8GB of RAM.

16GB on an i5 should be fine, and xCode is not particularly demanding when developing apps so the Mini should have no issues.

Keep away of all Mac cleaning and anti-virus Apps to maintain optimal performance on your Mac.

I'm pretty sure, you'll find it will run much better than the 2012 debian box though.

For best performance you may want to replace the 500GB mechanical drive for an SSD.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 12:35 PM in response to securityDev1111

I own a 2011 Mini, (granted its the i7 server version), but it runs pretty smoothly, and quick with just 8GB of RAM.

16GB on an i5 should be fine, and xCode is not particularly demanding when developing apps so the Mini should have no issues.

Keep away of all Mac cleaning and anti-virus Apps to maintain optimal performance on your Mac.

I'm pretty sure, you'll find it will run much better than the 2012 debian box though.

For best performance you may want to replace the 500GB mechanical drive for an SSD.

Mar 3, 2018 12:39 PM in response to Phil0124

Hey, thank you for answering! Yeah, that was my first thought too haha, upgrading the HDD, you're right though I bet that'll speed it up a lot. It might need to wait a month or two, but I can live with that for now. Anything else you can tell a first time Mac owner in terms of advice? I imagine not a whole lot has changed since the rollout of Swift, and the few other app devs I've talked to all say they enjoy it way more than objective-c.

Bought an old (2011 MC815LL/A) mac mini and I've never owned a mac. I have some questions...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.