Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Limit iCloud Photo Sharing Folders?

My wife and I take a lot of photos and we like to have access to all of our ~88,000 photos. I have seen countless requests from users complaining that they cannot easily share photos with their spouses and/or family members. Why does Apple still not have an easy solution for this common problem?

I can understand why Apple chose to set a 5,000 limit on shared photo folders, especially given that the storage for those photos does not count against your iCloud account. What I cannot comprehend, is why I cannot share all the photos in my iCloud library with those I have chosen to share my iCloud account with. I pay monthly for 2GB of iCloud storage.

Would it be possible to add an option to share photo folders without the 5,000 limit, but allow it to count against my iCloud account? That would make much more sense to me and probably get more customers to pay for an iCloud account. It would be fairly easy to add the option to share, non photo-limited folders with family members, since those family members already have access to the iCloud account anyway.

Also, I know that some people in the community have recommended just using the same AppleID on our devices, but that is not practical in our situation (or good security in general.)

I would love a response from Apple on this, as I am certain many other users would too.

Thank you!

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 1:33 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 3, 2018 5:52 PM in response to Ross Berman

Ross Berman wrote:

I pay monthly for 2GB of iCloud storage.

I assume you mean 200 GB?

Ross Berman wrote:

Would it be possible to add an option to share photo folders without the 5,000 limit, but allow it to count against my iCloud account?

Not that I know of unfortunately. Perhaps you can let Apple know -- Product Feedback - Apple.

Ross Berman wrote:

Also, I know that some people in the community have recommended just using the same Apple ID on our devices, but that is not practical in our situation (or good security in general.)

You are correct, i.e. Apple ID's aren't meant to be shared.

Mar 3, 2018 8:56 PM in response to Ross Berman

I would love a response from Apple on this, as I am certain many other users would too.

Apple does not typically provide answers to questions like this in this community.

You have a link for feedback.

What I cannot comprehend, is why I cannot share all the photos in my iCloud library with those I have chosen to share my iCloud account with.

You can absolutely do this, but shouldn't.

recommended just using the same AppleID on our devices, but that is not practical in our situation (or good security in general.)

Sorry, earlier you referred to sharing your iCloud account. That contradicts this statement.

Why Limit iCloud Photo Sharing Folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.