Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore OS X

I have an older 2009 white MacBook that the hard drive has failed on...I have installed a new hard drive and I have created a USB Restore Drive. I am able to get into and adjust the disks with the Disk Utility, and when I go to install, I get an error telling me that OS X El Capitan is not available now. Is there anything I can do to get it to restore OS X on the MacBook?? I am unable to go any higher because the computer cannot support any higher, but I am unable to get it installed on the MacBook.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 2:50 PM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2018 3:06 PM in response to ZintainUSA

You need to install the version of Snow Leopard that came with your computer's Restore DVDs or the version of Snow Leopard on the retail DVD.

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mavericks if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard Erase and Install

1. Insert Snow Leopard DVD into the optical drive and restart the computer.
  2. Immediately upon hearing the chime hold down the C key.
  3. Release the key when the Apple logo appears and wait for the loading to finish.
  4. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities' menu. After Disk Utility loads select the out-dented disk entry from the side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive size.) Click on the Partition tab in the Disk Utility’s right window. Set the number of partitions to one (1) from the drop down menu. Click on the Options button and select GUID, click OK button, set the format type to MacOS Extended, Journaled. Finally, click on the Apply button.
  5. After formatting has finished quit Disk Utility. Continue with the OS X installation and follow the directions.
  6. When the installation has finished the computer will restart into the Setup Assistant. After you complete the Setup Assistant you will be running a fresh installation of Snow Leopard. Open Software Update and install the recommended updates.
  7. Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. if needed. It is not needed if you are selling or giving away the computer.

Unable to restore OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.