Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2016 USB-C ports too sensitive

I thought I was replying to a thread that was started a while ago, but the forum wants me to start a new so this is related to: USB-C plugs fall out

While my USB C plugs don't fall out, the slightest movement of the MBP or external drive cause a disconnect. I have set all the preferences to undo any bluetooth and not sleep the drives. I know when the laptop moves the drive disconnects. I have four USBC plugs. I have the Gdrive EVRaw 4TB - so it is the rugged one. These ports should be more rugged than this. Could it be the Drive port? Sure it could, but I also see this with the power cord on another port. So I suspect it is the MBP.

I think this is insane to have such a sensitive port. If anyone has similar experiences or better yet a solution I would love to hear it.

What I offer is what I have seen pro photographers do to secure their USB C peripherals who go in the field and move their laptop and drives around a lot. They need the external drives for their photos. They use industrial velcro and velcro the drives and in some cases their card readers to the lid of the laptop to keep them more stable and not risk them falling or moving. Here is a pic from this link. http://www.steves-digicams.com/blog/photographing-the-olympics/. I have submitted my complaint to Apple also. User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2018 10:54 AM

I don't think that your post is inappropriate at all! 🙂 I've had this issue a couple of times, and it's sometimes because a tiny bit of junk has gotten stuck in one of the ports. You can try to look in your ports with a low-power flashlight to see if there is anything in them. If you want to clean them, then I suppose you can always try. 😉 Be sure that your computer is powered off and that you do not use any water or aerosol products as described here: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2018 10:54 AM in response to pacnwmichele

I don't think that your post is inappropriate at all! 🙂 I've had this issue a couple of times, and it's sometimes because a tiny bit of junk has gotten stuck in one of the ports. You can try to look in your ports with a low-power flashlight to see if there is anything in them. If you want to clean them, then I suppose you can always try. 😉 Be sure that your computer is powered off and that you do not use any water or aerosol products as described here: How to clean your Apple products - Apple Support

Mar 6, 2018 10:59 AM in response to zfJames

Will read and try. Good to hear that has been an issue and can help troubleshoot. But now I think it is the Gdrive cable connection to the drive. When I wiggle the cord in the slightest on that end, it seems to disconnect. So I think the HD housing connection may be bad. I guess it could be the cable but Gdrive Tech thought it was housing connection. I can't move it in the slightest w/o problem then MBP can't find it again forever. I got a mobile drive for a mobile laptop - it needs to move. So backing up and sending it to GTech for warranty replacement. Too bad it took me 3 months to figure this out! Thanks!

MBP 2016 USB-C ports too sensitive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.