Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need a 'manual data migrate' list, 10.13 to 10.12, pls

Had 7 "reallocated blocks" HDD FAILs on 2 mac Pros within 4 weeks, both running RAIDs on El Capitan (not RAID friendly). It turns out they were all more than a year past projected lifespans and finally began breaking (Seagates).

Lost TM and CCC backups but was able to save all data from the broken drives.

One "Logic Pro" Mac (listed below) went from El Capitan straight to High Sierra because of needed RAIDs, but there are too many issues (APFS, Coriolis Apps, Terminal RAIDs w/boot partitions, etc). The only 10.13 MacHD backups presently are in CCC and Time Machine.

I've successfully used a USB 10.12 Install drive to reinstall Sierra on the MacHD drive, but to give some idea of how much data there is that needs to migrate, the loaded 10.13 MacHD is about 400GB.

Re: Data, for example, in MacHD/ Library/ Audio/ Plug-Ins/ Components, there's 107 items at 2.8GBs, and the User/"name" folder has 166,400 items at 250GB.

Can someone point me to a to-do checklist (can't find one), that itemizes what will need to be manually migrated - all the appropriate User and Apple Data?

Thank you.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 5,1 / 3.33 12-core

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 5:43 AM

Hello Servi,

Just use Migration Assistant to restore from the old drive. It will take care of the details.

In the future, I encourage you to build a clean install and test with the latest operating system and only the software that you absolutely require. All rumours indicate the the changes in store for macOS this year will be bigger than anything since 1999.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 5:43 AM in response to Servi

Hello Servi,

Just use Migration Assistant to restore from the old drive. It will take care of the details.

In the future, I encourage you to build a clean install and test with the latest operating system and only the software that you absolutely require. All rumours indicate the the changes in store for macOS this year will be bigger than anything since 1999.

Mar 4, 2018 5:41 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you both. Including the 'Logic Pro' MacPro5,1 High Sierra, there is also a MacBookPro 11.5 still on El Capitan, an almost "twin" in terms of functionality, the MacPro used in a recording studio and the MBP used for offsite work. They have mostly identical setups.

etresoft - would you foresee issues in -

1- upgrading the MBP to Sierra, and then going through everything to ensure all UserData, Apps and AppleData are mirrored on it as compared with the High Sierra macPro5,1 - to then

2- use CarbonCopy Cloner to (permanently) keep an updated clone of the MBP MacHD OSX Sierra operating on the studio MacPro5,1 (?) (not sure if this is possible, both machines having different IDs, App Authentications, and whatever else).

It would save GB-space for CCC backups, as each would provide redundancy for the other.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2018 8:16 AM in response to Servi

I don't know anything about the software you have installed on those machines. I don't know how well it will work on an upgraded OS. I also don't know exactly what you are doing with those machines or how you use them. I can give you advice on how to avoid problems. You just have to remember that someone else is likely to chime in and say they did exactly what I warn you not to do and they had no problems. Who are you going to believe?

Never assume that any software, from either Apple or 3rd parties, is going to work in any update. It doesn't matter how small the update is. What are your concerns with these machines? Do you use them for work and do you need them to be always functional? Or do you need them to have the latest version of Apple's OS and other Apple goodies? Ideally, you should keep one machine as a test rig and keep that updated and test your entire workflow on it - constantly. When something breaks, you will have time to find a replacement or workaround.

Clones and backups. These are good for recovery, when you lose a hard drive and want to restore. Never use them for copying or duplicating a machine. Lots of subtle functionality depends on the relative uniqueness of both a machine and user accounts on it. Each machine needs its own backup. I strongly recommend Time Machine. If you need to have the same account on different machines, you need to recreate the account on each machine. Use iCloud to populate the accounts with initial settings and data. Never use a copy because that will break the uniqueness.

Mar 5, 2018 8:49 AM in response to etresoft

User accounts are already the same, as manually logging in back and forth between the two is a daily (time consuming) thing.

The "ideal" would be to have CCC (minus whatever folders are needed to remain specific to each machine) do all of the required ongoing updates (OSX, 3rd Part Apps, etc), so that once I've updated the principle machine, CCC will be keeping 2nd machine synced.

Has anyone tried this?

Need a 'manual data migrate' list, 10.13 to 10.12, pls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.