Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded Home Movies not available unless on WiFi

How is it now that I am not able to watch my downloaded Home Movies unless I am on WiFi? They have always been available offline until new changes to OS were pushed. Need this fixed. What are options?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 4:19 PM

1 reply

Mar 7, 2018 3:03 PM in response to Mgregory80

Hi, Mgregory80!

Thanks for bringing your video playback issue to the Apple Support Communities. If I understand what's going on, if you try to play videos you have taken, you are being prompted to connect to Wi-Fi to view them on the iPad. I'd be happy to help!

From what you've described, it sounds like you may have Optimize Storage enabled with iCloud Photo Library. This feature is designed to help manage the storage on your iPad by uploading videos and pictures to iCloud as your iPad storage gets low. When this happens, smaller, space-saving videos and pictures are kept on your device while the original is in iCloud; you have to download or stream to view them.

Optimize Storage is an optional feature, though. If you would prefer not to have it on, you can turn it off under Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos > Optimize iPad Storage. For more information on managing your photo and video storage, including on Optimize Storage, check out Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support .

If this doesn't address your issue, or you still have some trouble, don't hesitate to reply back. If you do, please include a bit more information about what's going on, such as where you're trying to view these videos (the Photos app? The TV or Videos app? Somewhere else?), and where the movies originated (did you take them on the iPad itself? Did you take them on another device and sync them from your computer with iTunes?).

Cheers!

Downloaded Home Movies not available unless on WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.