Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it a good idea to update my iOS while iCloud is still restoring

I bought a used iPhone 5s today and at noon central time I had they guy at the sprint store get my stuff of my old iPhone and put on my new one and it is now 7:01 central time and iCloud is still restoring is that normal and I wanna update my iOS is that a good idea to do while iCloud is still restoring

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 11:30 PM

I got it taken care of I chatted with someone from apple support what happened was that we started the restor in the sprint store hooked up to their WiFi and I guess the guy that helped me didn’t know that when I lost WiFi it would mess up my restor and I even asked him before I left if I had to be hooked up to WiFi and he said no but how I fixed it was I went to settings then general then reset then erase all contents and settings then when that was done I started the restore and it only took about 5 or 10 min

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2018 11:30 PM in response to Driver8666

I got it taken care of I chatted with someone from apple support what happened was that we started the restor in the sprint store hooked up to their WiFi and I guess the guy that helped me didn’t know that when I lost WiFi it would mess up my restor and I even asked him before I left if I had to be hooked up to WiFi and he said no but how I fixed it was I went to settings then general then reset then erase all contents and settings then when that was done I started the restore and it only took about 5 or 10 min

Mar 3, 2018 5:42 PM in response to 19dannyc87

Noon to 7 doesn't sound normal for a restore. I didn't time it exactly but when I got my last new iPhone the restore was more in the order of 10 minutes or so and finish right there in the store. In fact they didn't give the new one until the restore finished.

I personally would not start an upgrade while the restore is going on. It most like will cause both the restore and the upgrade to fail.

If it were mine I would have taken it back to the store hours ago.

Mar 3, 2018 10:00 PM in response to Allan Eckert

When I bought an iPhone 8 Plus, I set it up in the Apple Store just in case something messed up. As soon as I got the basic stuff in (not all the apps), I stopped the transfer. Went home and continued it on my WiFi Network. The basics took about 10-15 minutes to get that. The rest, I would say between 30-45 minutes on my connection. This does include my Camera Roll. I wasn't paying attention really, I was too occupied with Grand Theft Auto: Online.

I do know the phone did not come with iOS 11.2.5. I had to upgrade to that before I started to restore.

I was restoring a backup from a 6S Plus, which I still have.

Mar 4, 2018 1:09 AM in response to 19dannyc87

I stopped the transfer after I got the basic stuff on and switched off the phone. I removed my SIM Card and put it back in my 6S Plus for the trip home. When I got home, I started the phone back up and continued the transfer. Only after the transfer had been done, I then powered off my 6S Plus and put it in my 8 Plus.

I didn't have to go through that extreme.

Mar 4, 2018 1:20 AM in response to Driver8666

Ya but I’m a big believer in overkill and besides that at least you knew what you could do to fix the problem yourself me I’m clueless if it wasn’t for Apple support I’d really be lost... witch brings me to a question what the best and easiest way for me to become more tech advanced I’m not talking about hacking but more then the basics like right now I don’t even know what all I can do on my 5s with iOS 11.2.6 I’m coming from an iPhone 4 with ios 7 and I don’t even know what all it can do I know that you can shake it to undo something but idk what

Mar 4, 2018 1:27 AM in response to Driver8666

And the only bad thing about these Apple Support community discussions is sometimes it could be hours before someone replies to your question and if something is going wrong and you need to act fast so your phone don’t get Killed in action or even worse something really bad is happening and you don’t know the saviorty of it , it could cost you big time.. and jailbreaking good idea or bad idea what’s jailbreaking even for??

Mar 4, 2018 1:34 AM in response to 19dannyc87

Trial and error. But I will remind you that what works for one person on here might not work for another. Also on here we get a ton of crazy stuff, either myself or some of the other frequent users have to debunk or say "it's not a bug". People will post on here "this is a bug" without any anecdotal evidence whatsoever. When I come on and say it's not, I'm pretty brutal in the wording I use. It's pretty much "take that and (insert word here) it". That list is massive, and one that we won't go into. If it's really ridiculous, you might see a response from me in French, where due to the differences in the meaning of words, I can get away with far more than the Hosts will allow.

The thing with bugs is that everyone would have it. The calculator bug was one of them. I had that. I didn't care. Some people freak out.

But trial and error I would go that route. There's nothing wrong with that and you can always come back and ask questions, and no I won't go hard on you, or reply to you in French. You learn most things that way if you ask me.

Is it a good idea to update my iOS while iCloud is still restoring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.