Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to install macOS in my new hard drive

I have a IMac A1225 model and just recently replaced the hard drive due to ongoing issues. The drive is brand new and blank with no data I need to reinstall OS X how do i do that? I have no discs etc as i purchased the iMac second hand 4 years ago. Can some one please explain the steps required to get this running again.

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 5:14 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Mar 3, 2018 6:39 PM in response to tk7753

Here is the list of models that could be upgraded to use recovery:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

So, yours doesn't appear to be one of those which means you will need an install disk. Call Apple with your serial number and ask for replacement disks. Apple sells OS 10.6.3 in the Apple store for $20 - that may be another way, but it will only work if yours originally came with something earlier than 10.6.3 which Apple should be able to tell you.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Mar 3, 2018 5:58 PM in response to tk7753

It depends on the exact model/year of the Mac - any Mac manufactured up to mid 2010 came with install media and some - depending on age - will not work with internet recovery. It makes no difference when you bought it. If that is the case, you would need an install disk. Can you check your serial number with Apple (it's on the bottom of the stand) to find out exactly what model/year this machine is.

Mar 3, 2018 6:46 PM in response to tk7753

That means it cannot find what it needs to boot up. As I said, your Mac is too old to work with recovery. You need an install disk - there is no other way.

If you had cloned your system to the new drive before installing it, it would have been easy. But, you installed an empty drive, so you need to start from scratch.

Not able to install macOS in my new hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.